• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you get buns more used to handling?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
I was wondering what rescues do to make buns easier to handle. My Milly is quite difficult at the moment to pick up. Once up against the chest, she's fine. Molly struggles much less when being picked up. I know that most buns don't like being picked up but my buns need to be picked up every day so I can do changing of hay, food, water, etc, so I need them to be safe enough to pick up.

They should get better as they get to know you more. Most rabbits don't like being picked up when they are not 100% able to trust the person. They are still new to you so just be patient and try to build on the relationship with them and don't worry about it. It will settle down as they get to know and trust you more.

it just takes time. some bunnies will never like to be picked up, but most will tolerate it given time and trust. i have three buns that like being picked up, and one that doesnt, it does vary. maybe have a treat with you for when you pick them up, so they dont associate being picked up as a bad thing. x

They should get better as they get to know you more. Most rabbits don't like being picked up when they are not 100% able to trust the person. They are still new to you so just be patient and try to build on the relationship with them and don't worry about it. It will settle down as they get to know and trust you more.

I don't agree with that - the implication is that if your rabbit doesn't like being picked up, it's because it doesn't trust you. Some rabbits just hate being picked up :?

Yeah, many bunnies apparently have a fear of heights. Being swept up into the air - no matter how a rabbit trusts you - must be frightening. Instinct must tell them that this often means danger. I think rabbits can improve quite a bit with regular handling. ^^ Some never do, and some can just be awkward when they want to be. I have one who enjoys being held - he's so nosy, he loves the view, makes purry sounds and gets very licky... and another who hides her head so she doesn't have to see. But praise and treats after holding will encourage a bunny to be more relaxed about it, I'd imagine.

One of my buns, Bailey, isn't too bad. He doesn't like it much, but once he is against my chest hes ok, much like you said. I was trying to get him used to it, so I would pick him up and feed him a pellet so he would know that being picked up isn't a bad thing. However, my girlie (who I have had for 2 weeks ish) absolutely hates it. She tries to escape when you pick her up (she scratched me to bits last week) and is too scared to accept food when you are holding her. I'm just trying to build up her trust on the ground and then I will start to pick her up for very short periods of time to show her it isn't bad. As yours are still babies I'm sure they will get used to it soon. Being picked up daily for short periods will build up trust when they realise you aren't going to hurt them :) You sound like a great bunny-mummy :D

My bun Lionel (i have only had him a week now) won't even let us stroke him let alone pick him up, i know it takes time but i have to take him to the vet next sat to get his first jab and am really worried how i am going to get him there?
I think he must be the most scared bun in the world, he won't accept food from us or anything and runs away whenever we approach even if we are lying on the floor, any ideas?

Have you tried just sitting in a room/run with him? Like, sitting and reading a book? Most bunnies get used to your presence this way, recognise that you're not a threat and come for a closer look.

If you have space you could try sitting on the floor of your bunny's run/floorspace, bunnies are naturally nosey and will probably come up and start sniffing, nose rubbing and generally jumping/crawling on you, if you pick them up from this low level you will probably find they don't mind quite so much. I did this with one of my girls (that had hardly been handled before) and now she is much better about being picked up not to mention a whole lot friendlier altogether.

rabbits associate being picked up with being eaten which is why alot don't like it... at the end of the day, you can never override instinct,... they simply get used to it.. but theres no guarantees she will ever like being picked up x

Back