• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Could this be Nodular form of Myxi?

Alice

Warren Scout
Hi All,

Just got back from the vets with Myla. Noticed a couple of hard lumps at the base of her ear last night so took her in to vets. As I was stroking her though I kept noticing others in between her ears on her hind quarters and her nose also looked like she had a bit of a bump on it.

Vet gave her a thorough examination and tried to see if there was anything contained in the lumps to establish if they were abcesses. Nothing came out of the lumps but he has sent some cells off to be tested.

Myla has been vaccinated against Myxi but I am concerened that this may be a nodular form of the disease that I saw mentioned on another couple of threads.

She has been put on a two week course of baytril for the time being and will probarly pop her back in to the vets next wk. In her self she seems absolutely fine, eating drinking and running round the garden.

If this is myxi though I am wondering if I should seperate her from Roo or whether this would cause more stress to both of them.

Would appreciate some some advice, if anyone has some experience of this.

Many Thanks

Alice

It does sound like it could be nodular myxi - my vaccinated bun is just recovering from it, he had the lumpy ears & swollen nose aswell. Try not to worry, survival rates are good - the vaccine has given her the best chance,just make sure you get the meds into her & keep her hydrated.Do seperate your rabbits if possible as they can catch it from eachother (that's what happened to my two buns that i lost) Good luck.

Last edited:
When Floss had Nod myxi last year I was told NOT to seperate her from Bournville as that would cause her added stress, and the chances are that if she was infected then so was he, so it would be too late to isolate them anyway. So they remained together and he never contracted it.

I wouldn't separate them, myxi is spread by biting insects so its quite likely that Roo was bitten too

Thanks for the reponses.

I have been checking Roo multiple times a day for any lumps and bumps but so far he seems fine. I don't think myla has got any more and is still her bouncy self, although a little bit snuffly, so hopefully the antibiotics are kicking in.

Going to speak to my vet today though to check if Roo should have another myxi booster as I believe he is due soon.

Back