• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

how would i?

donnamt

Wise Old Thumper
my fella just had to hold Alvin while i put the antibiotics into his mouth (theres only 5 doses thankfully)..... im just wondering if i was left alone to do this how would i do it? im not confident with the handling of Alvin either.... the realisation that if i was single id have to be petless is a scary horrible thought :cry: :cry:

Put the antibiotics on a leaf (something you know he'll like) and give it to him.
It worked wonders on my buns:wave: (Sure when I gave Zakura she actually seemed to LIKE her medisin so it wasn't neccasary:roll: )

yaaay so food is the way to go.. i was gonna inject it into an apple, but he does love romaine lettuce so i reakon that would do the job.. thankyou for that :)

im also a bit worried that hes not drinking (he sniffs the bottle but dont actually drink), should i just up his veg until he starts drinking again?

Well he gets fluid trhough vegetables so the more vegs he eat the less he'll drink. Does he know how to use a water bottle? My bunnies seem to prefer bowls if given the choice, although most of the year they use bottles.

yup hes very good with the bottle, when he drinks he really goes for it.... hes sulking at the min because we just messed with him.... ill get him cucumber just incase..... i know he dont drink much in the day but last night i didnt hear the bottle go once.... he pooping and weeing just fine tho.. probably just feeling sore today and im overreacting as usual....lol

Well I'm single, and I either mix their meds in with mushed up pellets and apple juice, or drip it onto a leaf of greens (bit hit and miss though as they drag it on the floor) - when I've had to syringe them I kneel on the floor and wrap bunny in a towel firmly, back him/her between my legs and use my left hand to raise up their front legs and head, so I can see their mouth, and my right hand to pop the syringe just behind their front teeth :)

If you're worried about drinking then put the water in a bowl too, and wet any veg he has first so it's dripping - if you up the quantity of his veg he may just get a tummy upset.

i put a bowl in and he has lay next to it with his paw in it....lol camera is dead so i missed a fabulous pic :roll: he then took his paw out and licked it dry so im not so worried now, i guess after what hes been thro the taste of a metal bottle just isnt what he fancies right now... poor baby cant settle tho he must be really sore :(

:evil: i feel a right evil bun mum at the mo :evil:

My rabbit is currently on liquid antibiotics & i find it much easier to administer them if i wrap him firmly in a towel so he's all underwraps (apart from his head of course!) i hold him firmly under one arm & put the syringe in his mouth with the other.Not only does wrapping him in a towel prevent him from struggling, it also seems to calm him down.

Back