• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do you worm your rabbits?

TheGaffer

Mama Doe
as title,

I've got some panacur to do my 6 for 9 days as my vet has advised. He also said the manufacturers recommend worming between 2 and 4 times a year!

Nicola

I have never wormed nor vaccinated my rabbits and they have always been perfectly healthy, my rabbit has been to the vets twice since we've had him (5 years), 1 time was because of diarreah and the second to be nutered.

now he's happy and healthy. I've only had my other bunn for about 6 weeks, but she's healthy and fine.

No but I would if they went on grass or had recurrent stasis - I'm sure once a year's fine though - when I asked my vet about worming she said it's not a common problem in rabbits, but I know it's recommended to worm piggies regularly so it must be similar for rabbits as they both go on grass.

I wouldn't worry too much about worms if they are healthy, but regular short term use of Panacur might help control E Cuniculi - no-one really knows.

My rabbits have only been to the vet once in their lives (and only two of them)
Zakura went to get neutered, and Sasuke to get medisins for his sore paws.
Worming and vaccinations has never been necassary, not having wild rabbits in Norway has an advantage; less chance of bunny-deceases being spread:D (And vaccinated bunnies are illegal to import, as they may carry diseases without showing symptoms)

We have started to give all new rescues a course of panacur ...to worm and protect against EC . its more of a precaution to protect buns already here than anything else .

my own buns only get wormed if i suspect they have them or if i notice any of the others have them ....then they all get done .

I have done as one of my giants actually had worms in his poo, so I've done the lot as a precaution, plus the benefit of protecting against EC.
I don't think I would have if I hadn't seen the worms, but now I've started I will do them at least once, possibly twice a year, as it is such a cheap preventative:)

We have started to give all new rescues a course of panacur ...to worm and protect against EC . its more of a precaution to protect buns already here than anything else .

my own buns only get wormed if i suspect they have them or if i notice any of the others have them ....then they all get done .

We do that at Hull animal welfare. its a precaution but a wise one x

I will be pancuring twice a yr because I lost a baby to parasites after nursing him for 2 days and it was devasting. He is also going to be myxi'd twice yearly and vhd'd too.

Back