• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ebuny has myxi

Jacqui_UK

Alpha Buck
I am so distressed. Ebuny my house bunny has been diagnosed with Myxi. He has been inoculated in June and vet thinks it is real early days. He is still up and about and eating and drinking. Vet seems hopeful.

He says only one rabbit he has treated has survived. You guys knowing about this What are the chances of him survivng?

Please be honest. I am so scared.

im so sorry. no advice but wanted to let you know we are thinking of you and sending good wishes to ebunny x x

What are his symptoms?

Having an up to date vaccination definitely boosts his chances :)

I'm so sorry, I've no advice, but thinking of you and sending vibes for Ebuny. I hope he gets better x x x

He has lesions in his ears, inflamed genitals and slightly puppy eyes. He has started snuffling since seeing the vet.

I read this:

If a rabbit catches myxomatosis and develops the full-blown classic form of the disease, survival is very unusual, even with intensive nursing and treatment with antibiotics to prevent secondary bacterial infection. ost affected pets in this situation are put to sleep as soon as the diagnosis is made, to prevent futile suffering.

He has lesions in his ears, inflamed genitals and slightly puppy eyes. He has started snuffling since seeing the vet.

I read this:

If a rabbit catches myxomatosis and develops the full-blown classic form of the disease, survival is very unusual, even with intensive nursing and treatment with antibiotics to prevent secondary bacterial infection. ost affected pets in this situation are put to sleep as soon as the diagnosis is made, to prevent futile suffering.

Hi there, I'm so sorry about the news:cry: I believe the text you quoted is referring to buns without the vaccination. I have heard on this forum that the chances of survival in a bun that has been vaccinated are very much higher. Several people have had buns survive it recently.

Wishing you all the best and sending loads of vibes xxx

Your bunny was vaccinated though! That improves their chance of survival. When vaccinated, bunnies can be nursed through the myxi. I'm sure someone on here can give you the details, but I think vaccinated bunnies get a certain strain of the myxi which can be treated...?

He has lumps? That's actually good :) Nodular myxi has a much higher survival rate than normal myxi :)

Is he on antibiotics?

Tam

I am very sorry to hear about Ebuny :cry:

What symptoms does he have?
As he is up-to-date with his vaccinations he stands a good chance of recovery, although he will need lots of nursing care and Veterinary attention.

I do hope he will get better

Janex

Hiya
i'm in the same position as you at the moment my two bonded buns have this one is more poorly than the other but i have been wiping their ears with a wet flannel when they are hot you can also put frozen water bottles in there cage to cool them down. ive also been giving them calpol to help with there temp and pain relief
hope this helps

I lost 2 bunnies to myxi last week. For several reasons I had not had them vaccinated. However I have since done alot of research on the disease and into the vaccine (which previously had scared me silly) and I got the other buns vaccinated this week. They do stand a much better chance of survival.My thoughts are with you... sending lots of vibes for Ebuny and a hug and a cuppa for you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No he hasn't got any lumps. He is still up and about and eating. He has had 3 jabs. The other bunnies have all been in to get boosters and treatment. I cannot believe the house bunny has it :( I am glad I decided to get him done as well as the outside girls.

I'm new here but when i read your post i just had to reply.
I lost two rabbits to myxi as i didn't know what it was so they hadn't been vaccinated.I learned a painful lesson & my current rabbits are both vaccinated every six months.One of them is recovering from myxomatosis at the moment (he went to his final check up at the vet today) He had the same symptoms as your little one & was also diagnosed with the nodular form.I just wanted to say that your rabbit has a good chance of survival as he already has some immunity from the vaccine.My rabbit was given anti inflammetry injections & put on anti biotics, he also has just been given eye drops as one of his eyes is still quite sore, but he is making a really good recovery.Don't give up hope of your little bun survivng - they are stronger than we think.pm me if you want to ask anything & i will try to help.Good luck, i hope everything works out for you :)

Well I got him early on his genitals are inflamed and eyes had a red outline so I took him straight away. The vet said I got him at the beginning stage and to feel proud I realised so soon and new what it was. Lets hope he will be ok. I did all I can.

I think the last few months on RU has proven that even the most vigilant owner can have a bun than contracts myxi. You've done everything possible and Ebuny has a much better chance than some, good luck and hope he makes a swift full recovery.:)

Heya,

just been reading all the posts and totally agree - the fact that your bunny / bunnies have been vaccinated means they stand a good chance.

My vet said that in vaccinated bunnies, with lots of nursing care, only 1 in 10 dies, in unvaccinated rabbits, only 1 in 10 survives.

She said she herself nursed her own rabbit through mixy and used echinacea drops and this helped no end. She said nothing else worked -antibiotics, anti-inflammatories - nothing... I dont know how true this is, but might be worth a try. you can buy it as liquid from most good health shops - and chemists - sainsbury's chemist sells a.vogel echinaforce drops and you mix this with a little bit of water and give it by syringe - or you can just add it to their water bottle 10-20 drops in a 600ml water bottle (more if it's larger bottle, less if it's smaller).

I nursed a bunny with snuffles using this and while that's incurrable, it did seem to alleviate the symptoms when nothing else worked - might just be worth a try.

I myself have never experienced this disease - but wish you the very best f luck in nursing your rabbit back to health.

Please keep us posted on how he's doing.

Im really sorry that your bun has Myx, i have had a bun with full blown myx and one with nodular and both survived. Your bun needs antibiotics to help keep secondary infections at bay depending on his size will depend on the dose but he will need them every day, antiinflamitrys (sp) will help with sweelling and general discomfort. make sure that he continues to eat and drink, when my bun had myx it took 3 months of treatment and constant care but he pulled through. He was however left with damaged lungs which unfortunatly led to his passing earlier this year, he had 18 months after he recovered. Sending lots of vibes and i hope he makes a full recovery xxx

Hi, so sorry to hear your bun has myxi. My french lop has it at the moment in spite of 6 monthly injections. He had lumps around his eyes and in his ears. He also had bumps in his fur on his body. He has been on anti biotics for ten days now and is definitely improving. I tempted him with herbs, veggies, apple and all sorts to keep him interested in food. He has carried on eating for England in spite of being off colour. He has just started to want to run around the garden again which is a good sign he is feeling himself again. I spent loads of time stroking him and talking to him so he did not give up and sure that helps them. Lots of luck with your bun. Pam

Well thought I would update you all. His eyes are not running now it seems. His sniffles are a lot less than before. He is still lifeless and shallow breathing but is eating and drinking still. Even hopped to go for a wee. Thanks for all your thoughts and well wishes. I hope it is helping him to recover.

I went to the vets again today for more things and the girls had another boster but they seem to be all clear.

Back