• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Looking after British Giants...

Mart

Mama Doe
We have fallen in love with a rescued giant.

But, whilst we have had NDs and variants, we have never looked after anything that size (rabbit wise).

We were wondering, how does looking after a Giant differ from smaller and 'normal' rabbits ? just trying to do some homework before making a possible commitment.

She would be kept as a house bunny, and would obviously have the run of a few rooms, but mainly be kept to just the one.

Not sure whether we would try and bond her with either of our ND - (particularly Yalta due to health issues).

Are vets bills steeper ?

any particular health issues with Giants ?

Is it true that life expectancy is less ?

Any advice ?

thanks

Martin

[edited: oops - obviously got the wrong forum :)]

Hi! I've got two conti giants (bonded pair).
They are as easy to care for as smaller rabbits, or should I say they need the same amount of care :) Obviously the food bill is higher as they eat like horses, and vet bills do tend to be higher as some charge a giant rate (upto 50% higher in some cases).
I find them really easy going - mine are like two dogs in that they come to you for fuss, and don't act as skittish as the small rabbits.
I'd be very nervous of bonding myself - mine were bonded at Hopper Haven - as a giant can inflict serious damage to another bun - just look at the size of those teeth and hind legs!!
Sadly life expectancy is shorter for bigger breeds, but they are such wonderful creatures to care for that the risk of maybe owning them for only 6 years is worth it :D
I have found mine to be really rewarding (but regardless of size aren't they all :D ).
Good luck if you decide to go ahead:D

When we saw her, she was just so friendly, bounding up to the cage sides with her paws up on it - just like a puppy.

She is still young, and her ears are huge, so we know she has a heck of a lot of growing to do :)

thanks

Martin

Remember to post some pics when you have some.
Do you know how old she is and why she's in a rescue?

By the way does ND stand for Netherland Dwarf, as if so I def wouldn't introduce them. My ND is smaller than the head of my giants :lol:

Remember to post some pics when you have some.
Do you know how old she is and why she's in a rescue?

By the way does ND stand for Netherland Dwarf, as if so I def wouldn't introduce them. My ND is smaller than the head of my giants :lol:

We're not sure on age / details as yet - it was only after leaving that we started to think about actually adopting, so we didn't ask the questions at the time.

Yep - ND = Netherlands Dwarf, so you're probably right - not a good idea.

Martin

What about a baby Giant... could you bond one of those with a ND... then hopefully all the arguments would be over with before the baby got too big?????

Problem would be if the giant tried humping the ND - could cause a spinal injury, and if the giant attacked the ND it wouldn't stand a chance.
My Ra's mummy attacked a medium sized rabbit and tore her stomach open - luckily she survived but it was very sobering to think of what a giant could do.

I had a new zealand white X who was well over a stone in weight and the size of a dog (not sure what size technically is a giant breed). His consultations were still only 'small animal' price - I suppose he is still a rabbit in there eyes regardless of size BUT when he was poorly his medication bills were more. Once a Vet he hadnt seen before queried his previous dose of antibiotics.....until I got him out of his box and she just said 'oh yes that explains it now' :)

Food obviously will cost you more and also more bedding as you will probably have a much larger hutch. Watch out for the wee's they are as big as they are :lol: :lol: :lol:

All 3 of my big boys (all sadly over the rainbow bridge now) really have been gentle giants. Just think.....the bigger the bunny the more bunny to love.

Back