• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spayed and home already, but not all good

BB Mommy

Warren Veteran
My smallest little baby Strawberry has been spayed today - I fetched her home at 1pm.

This morning when I fetched her from her shed I noticed tufts of fur and feared that her mum or sister had picked on her, only when I got her to the house and checked her over did I notice she had a really bad bite on her side.
Luckily the vet has stitched it for her whilst under GA, but it was a nasty wound.:(
The problem I have now is whether to put her back with her mum and sister after she's healed for a few days - at the moment I have them all in the kitchen, mum and sister alongside Strawberry, but separate by wire panels.

Ideally I need her to go back with the other two as I haven't got room for more sheds or hutches, but if the worse comes to the worse she'll have to be bonded with another rabbit - I'll have some big time sweet talking to my O/H to do :lol:

My gut feeling is to keep her separate now - do you think she might bond back in the group again if they're all put back together on neutral territory?

Help!!

I would certainly keep her seperate for now. You may well be able to rebond her but it really depends on who she fell out with and if that Bun will recognise her and attack again.
She may have been getting frisky with the others and one of them just got pee'd off with her.
Once she has healed and her hormones have settled down you could attempt a rebonding on 100% neutral territory

I do hope Strawberry will recover well. Poor Bun having a bite wound and a spay :cry:

Janex

Poor girl :( I hope she recovers with no abscess, but I wouldn't put her with them - when I had to split one of my girls from the group for surgery they wouldn't re-bond and she's lived seperately ever since. Might not be so hard bonding back to a pair though - but I'd give her a good month to recover from her surgery and get less hormonal, and find somewhere neutral they can be introduced. They will need to stay in that area for a few days most likely, during which time you need to paint and clean and move around the area they are living in now, so it doesn't provoke a territorial fight.

I would try her again once she's healed and her hormones have calmd down - Nina ended up biting Joey during a bonding attempt pre-spay but I just left them apart until she had the op and healed up and tried again and they bonded fine :)
I don't think rabbits 'remember' bad fights if a bit of time has passed - I just think that if the fight didn't have a reason (like as someone suggested, her being a bit frisky from hormones) then it means their personality clashes so it's unlikely to be successful in the future.

Well I'm pleased that Strawberry has had a little munch on some kale, but she looks very tired now, so I guess the day is catching up with her. Her ears are cold so I've warmed up her snugglesafe and wrapped her up in a vet bed.

As the day has progressed I don't think I can face putting her back in with the others....I need to do some convincing of the O/h tonight before I go out with my mates...I see a weekend ahead of converting the last remaining shed (which I bought the O/H after I nicked his 10 x 8 for the giants, or I'll have a mooch on ebay for a hutch and run.

Oh, poo :( What a yak day :(

Glad you've decided to keep them separate as it is awful watching a healing post spay bun in a fight, this happened to my buns. They were separated for a few weeks and are now happily together. Although no serious wounds were caused with mine. Hope she recovers well :)

Glad you've decided to keep them separate as it is awful watching a healing post spay bun in a fight, this happened to my buns. They were separated for a few weeks and are now happily together. Although no serious wounds were caused with mine. Hope she recovers well :)

Thanks - that gives me some hope that I might get her back into her trio. I think I may borrow a dog crate in a few weeks time to put them all back together in before I put them back in their house.
I have spent the afternoon looking at the Happy Hutches in case we decide to separate, but want the O/H to have some input first (before I prise the money out of his fight little fist :lol: )

I have seen a few poo's now so I'm feeling happy that she'll get over her op OK.

Back