• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question about getting on other rabbit

Liloupricou

Young Bun
Hello,

I've lost my rabbit on Wednesday, we took him to the vet and during the examination his spine broke. He was a lovely little rabbit who brought up lot of joy, happiness and joy! And even if we only had him for 6 months the house is now empty and I miss him so badly.

We would like to take a new one, but not now because it’s too soon, maybe around December.

We are leaving in West Sussex and I would like to know if nobody knows any refuge, breeder etc… in the area. We would like a baby this time.
Tiny was a Netherlands Dwarf but we are not too bothered we will prefer a small size rabbit as our house is not huge. (Forgot to say that it will be a house rabbit)

Thanks a lot in advance,

oh im so sorry about what happened :(

must be horrible, did his spine actually break during examination?what caused it? did he jump or something? :( poor bun

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

The vet took him in a back room for examination and asked the nurse to help him. The only thing we know if that Tiny screamed and 2mn after the vet told my Husband that he broke his spine by trying to escape, I'm sure it's not true. It's been very hard for us but once I'm feeling a bit stronger I can tell you I will writte a letter to the vet.

Have to say I'm horrified by this tragic story and feel so sorry for you. I would ask the vet for a full explanation as to why he had to take him out of the room to examine the bunny..and why the break happened..compensation might be in order and may not bring your rabbit back but may stop it happening again .
Thinking of you xx....and we have 2 nethies and two more small bunnies due in this weekend and will rehome nationally

So sorry for your loss :cry:

If you decide to go down the breeder route then try contacting Brian Jeal on02392-372601; he is the Secretary of the West Sussex Fanciers Rabbit Club, and should know all the breeders in the local area. Their next show is October 14th in Pagham so perhaps you'd like to wait abit and pop along, look at all the breeds, see what you'd like and talk to breeders face to face.

I don't know any rescues in that area but I'm sure there'll be plenty on Rabbit Rehome if you have a look. :D

That's awful, made me shiver when i read it. Hope you do write to your vet and they do something so it never happens again.

Hope you find another lovely bun x

What an awful and distressing story,never heard anything like it, and I'm so sorry. I agree with HoneyBunny that you are entitled to a full explaination, and you shouldn't settle for anything less. I'd get another bun sooner rather than later, and change vets as well.

What a kind offer HB :thumb:

I am stil totally appalled by your vets actions and urge you to make an official complaint... I really feel for you. Losing Tiny must be awful. I am glad to hear you are looking to take on another bun and that you are doing this when it feels right. We never replace our babies... but it is nice to know we can offer others a nice home in thier memory. x

WHAT!!!! Thats horrendous, I'm so sorry. Please dont leave this, and when you feel capable, take the matter further. I really dont understand why he was taken away from you to be examined and surely for his spine to be broken he must have fell from a height, I dont want to make assumptions but Im shocked and you deserve a full explanation and compensation. It wont change anything but it may make sure it doesnt happen to someone else.:cry:

i agree with everyone else. i know rigth now your are grieving but he would scream as he was trying to escape,s ome bunnies dont lyk being handled but a squeal is for pain....

i am so sorry:(
dont settle for anything less than at LEAST a full explanation

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

WHAT!!!! Thats horrendous, I'm so sorry. Please dont leave this, and when you feel capable, take the matter further. I really dont understand why he was taken away from you to be examined and surely for his spine to be broken he must have fell from a height, I dont want to make assumptions but Im shocked and you deserve a full explanation and compensation. It wont change anything but it may make sure it doesnt happen to someone else.:cry:

I've heard before of rabbits being incorrectly restrained and they kick their powerful back legs and break their own back - a vet should know how to hold a rabbit though :?

What a horrible thing to happen to you and the poor little bun. Agree with what everyone's said about you deserving an explanation. Would definitely take complaint further. I know it can't bring your baby back but at least it will help to protect other buns in the future. Thinking of you x

After reading your original thread I'm so glad to have stumbled across this one, I was genuinely very worried about you; taking your bun to someone you thought was going to help him and then that happening must be so devastating :cry: So I am glad that you are at least in the position mentally about thinking of getting another :) and it's great that you are going to write to the vet, you at least deserve an explanation because the not-knowing must be dreadful :cry:

I don't know of any in that area but I wish you the best of luck in finding the perfect bunny companion who will do justice to Tiny's memory and fill your house with binkies again :)

I've heard before of rabbits being incorrectly restrained and they kick their powerful back legs and break their own back - a vet should know how to hold a rabbit though :?

OMG never heard of that!:shock: But yeah your right, any decent vet should at least know how to handle a rabbit safely!

I like everyone else am absolutely horrified that this could happen. If a vet knows how to hold a rabbit correctly that should never had happened. Plus the fact this was a small rabbit, not exactly a giant that you might find more difficult to hold. I wish you luck in taking a complaint forward to stop this vet killing anymore rabbits. I think the very least you should get is an apology and explanation and a reassurance that this vet will be sent on a small animal care course

Back