• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Harry the Poorly Rabbit...

Hello... :)

I couldn't seem to post with my old account so I have had to create a new one... I was hoping I could get some help on a decision I need to make for my bunny, his name is Harry here is a picture/s.....

harry2.gif

I noticed a problem with Harry's eye about 2 weeks ago and took him to the vet, first of all they said that he had a eye infection that was maybe caused by a scratch and gave him eye drops, antibiotics and painkillers for it. After about 12 days and 4 checkups the vet has decided that it's not getting any better, he has developed an abscess on his eye and he's probably got a bacterial infection called Pasteurellosis http://www.lbah.com/rabbits/pasteurella.htm. He has given me 2 options, either remove the eye or put Harry to sleep.... :cry:

My first decision was to definitely do the operation, after talking to my uncle who is also a vet he warned me that there is a high possibility that it could just spread to his other eye, his ear and other areas of his body. Now I really don’t want to put him to sleep and money isn't a issue for the operation but I don’t want to keep him alive just for my own selfishness. He has had a happy life as a house bunny and is only 2 years old, I don’t want to end his life short but I also don’t want him to suffer for the next few years with problem after problem.

Has anyone had a similar problem with there rabbit, did you take the eye out? Did they recover well? Do you think its a risk worth taking? Is it fair on him? I'm going to make a decision over the next few days and would appreciate any advice or your experiences if you have been in a similar situation......

Thank You
Luke.....

Poor Harry.. i have not had this problem in a rabbit, so can't really advise. All I can say is that he is quite a young rabbit still and if he were mime I think I would be inclined to go for the op and see how he progresses afterwards. He may develop problems or he may not - if you have the op done at least you are giving him the best chance.
Taz

If the Vet treating Harry feels he is fit enough for the op' and you are prepared for *a lot* of post op' nursing care then I would give him a chance and have the op' done.

I would also get the Vet to culture the bacteria involved to ensure the most appropriate antibiotics are prescribed. Adequate pain relief is also *essential*

Wishing you and Harry luck

Janex

Hi Luke,

I would go for the op if it were my bunnie then you know you have given him a chance at life then if more problems occure you can then judge that situation on its merits at the time. But as you said Harry is only 2 and should hsve many years ahead of him

Wishing you loads of luck

Back