• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi jab-correct administration of vaccine?

Nicola3

Mama Doe
Hello :wave:

Can somebody tell me the exact method in which the Myxi vaccine should be administered so I can pass the details on to the vet I use. I know last yr I was told a certain way but I want to make sure I have the info correct.

Thanks,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Hi Jane, Do you know why the 10% must be given differently? Mine were done a couple of weeks back the vet gave it all in the back of the neck?

Hi Jane, Do you know why the 10% must be given differently? Mine were done a couple of weeks back the vet gave it all in the back of the neck?

The nature of the virus is such that, in order to achieve best protection, 0.1 ml (10%) of each dose of the vaccine should be administered by intradermal injection. The point of entry for the Myxo Virus is usually through the skin (from biting insects) and so giving 10% intradermally insures adequate coverage/immune response.

Some Vets do all of it in the scruff and rely on their own 'injecting skills' to pull the needle back so as 10% goes intradermally

Janex

And just for clarity - this is the ONLY brand of myxi vacc available in the UK isn't it - therefore all myxi vacc's in the UK need to be given this way.

And just for clarity - this is the ONLY brand of myxi vacc available in the UK isn't it - therefore all myxi vacc's in the UK need to be given this way.

As far as I know.
I *think* there is one available in other European Countries which is derived from the actual Myxo Virus rather than the Shorpe Fibroma Virus. Therefore its efficacy doesn't rely on cross-immunity. My understanding is that at the moment the British Vet Med Authourities are not satisfied with the other Vaccine's safety. But I am not 100% certain if that is why its not available here

Janex

When my vet jabbed mine on Monday I asked about the Intradermal part and she said that this is not necessary with new vaccines... I am concerned now.

My vet also gives it just in the scruff and I'm unable to tell whether or not she is still injecting on the way out. How can you trust that they are doing this?

Makes me really angry that some vets seem to make up their own sets of rules...

When my vet jabbed mine on Monday I asked about the Intradermal part and she said that this is not necessary with new vaccines... I am concerned now.

Can you check what MAKE of vaccine was given.
The only one I am aware of is the NOBIVAC but there *might* be a new one thats just come on the market. As is clearly stated in the NOBIVAC Data Info' Sheet 10% must be given intradermally with this vaccine.

http://www.intervet.co.uk/Products_Public/Nobivac_Myxo/090_Product_Datasheet.asp

Janex

Charly was given the jab in the scruff too. We think he put the needle in and then pulled it out and put it back in again i thought that he must have done something wrong but it looks like he was doing what he should be doing. I have looked at the invoice but it doesn't say the make of the vacci.

Charly was given the jab in the scruff too. We think he put the needle in and then pulled it out and put it back in again i thought that he must have done something wrong but it looks like he was doing what he should be doing. I have looked at the invoice but it doesn't say the make of the vacci.

Hi

It usually says the make on the vaccination certificate.

I am pleased that my vet, who I have never thought of as being rabbit savvy, injected the last 10% into their ear bases. At least I know that it did go intradermally rather than relying on her injecting skills :shock:

Is it only this jab that requires administration in this way?

If you are not sure about how you vet is giving the vaccine ask. I saw another vet (not my usual one) and i asked how he gave the vaccine and if he did it the 10% intradermally way, and he said yes, thats the only way it should be done :thumb:

He used two separate needles, and put 10% in the base of their ears and the rest in their scruff.

Needless to say Polo and Opal are now sulking.

Back