• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tarquin is off his food :-( U/D Sunday: been to the Vet

Becca6

Mama Doe
Tarquin has got me worried this morning. He ate loads last evening and when I left him and Bella to go to bed, they were both tucking into the few pellets they get at bed time. I’ve started them on a bit of veg since coming home from Sooz’s, but he didn’t have much so I don’t think that’s caused any problems. I topped all his hay up – he has a hay ball hanging from the top of his cage, a hay rack and a pile of hay in the corner. Normally in the morning the pile of hay is all squished down where he’s been sitting on it while eating that and the hay in his rack. This morning it’s untouched – he’s not even sat in it – the pile is as it was and the hay rack is still full.

Both normally go mad in the morning for their pellets – Bella was grabbing them out of my hand but Tarquin wasn’t interested, though he did his usual sitting up on his back legs and stretching up which means he wants a cuddle. He was very bright, running round his cage, through his tunnel and round again. There were some poops and he’s weed but there weren’t the number of poops I’m used to seeing.

I scattered a few Excel pellets in that I still have – they’re now on SS – and he hopped round and ate a couple before leaving the rest. He also ate a couple of the pineapple chunks I’ve been using to train Bella and again left the rest. He’s been out of his cage while I’ve been getting ready for work and been running round like normal. He clearly isn’t uncomfortable – he’s sitting up and not hunched up – but the not eating scares me.

He and Bella have only been home two days and we’ve been getting into a good routine of one in their cage while the other’s out, and then swapping. They both seem happy with that and I’m probably just worrying because I lost my lost bunny to gut stasis and it scares me silly. I bought some Infacol yesterday for the first time but am too scared to use it in case it’s the wrong stuff.

There’s nothing I can do now except hope he’s eaten by the time I get home, or he’ll be off to the vet.

Any tips on how to use Infacol, and which stuff I should get, or anything else useful when a bun seems fine but just not eaten or done as many poops as usual?

Rebec :(

Last edited:
Can you tell if his tummy is bloated a bit, or if its gurgly at all? If he doesn't appear to be in pain then he may perk up - it might be that the change in routine and diet is just setting him off a bit?

If you have Infacol in, then a dose of that (1-2mls) and a tummy rub will help with any wind that he may have - but it also won't harm him if there isn't anything wrong either.

After that you'll just have to wait and see how he is - try tempting him with some favourite foods, just anything to keep some food going through his system.

Hope he perks up soon

I would take him to the vets for some metaclopromide - so long as the vet checks there's no blockage. Give him water in a dish if he normally has a bottle, and ask the vet to give him fluids too - keeping the gut contents moist is most important for them getting through stasis. The vet really needs to check his teeth too, so you'll have to hold him wrapped in a towel while the vet has a look - nethies are prone to teeth problems but I would guess it's just all the stress of last week - hopefully he'll be fine with a shot of metaclop :)

Tarquin has got me worried this morning. He ate loads last evening and when I left him and Bella to go to bed, they were both tucking into the few pellets they get at bed time. I’ve started them on a bit of veg since coming home from Sooz’s, but he didn’t have much so I don’t think that’s caused any problems. I topped all his hay up – he has a hay ball hanging from the top of his cage, a hay rack and a pile of hay in the corner. Normally in the morning the pile of hay is all squished down where he’s been sitting on it while eating that and the hay in his rack. This morning it’s untouched – he’s not even sat in it – the pile is as it was and the hay rack is still full.

Both normally go mad in the morning for their pellets – Bella was grabbing them out of my hand but Tarquin wasn’t interested, though he did his usual sitting up on his back legs and stretching up which means he wants a cuddle. He was very bright, running round his cage, through his tunnel and round again. There were some poops and he’s weed but there weren’t the number of poops I’m used to seeing.

I scattered a few Excel pellets in that I still have – they’re now on SS – and he hopped round and ate a couple before leaving the rest. He also ate a couple of the pineapple chunks I’ve been using to train Bella and again left the rest. He’s been out of his cage while I’ve been getting ready for work and been running round like normal. He clearly isn’t uncomfortable – he’s sitting up and not hunched up – but the not eating scares me.

He and Bella have only been home two days and we’ve been getting into a good routine of one in their cage while the other’s out, and then swapping. They both seem happy with that and I’m probably just worrying because I lost my lost bunny to gut stasis and it scares me silly. I bought some Infacol yesterday for the first time but am too scared to use it in case it’s the wrong stuff.

There’s nothing I can do now except hope he’s eaten by the time I get home, or he’ll be off to the vet.

Any tips on how to use Infacol, and which stuff I should get, or anything else useful when a bun seems fine but just not eaten or done as many poops as usual?

Rebec :(

As he appears to be so bright within himself I suspect it may be his mouth/teeth that are the problem. Has he had a recent Dental Check or does he have a history of Dental problems?

Janex

As he appears to be so bright within himself I suspect it may be his mouth/teeth that are the problem. Has he had a recent Dental Check or does he have a history of Dental problems?

Janex

He went to the vet almost two weeks ago for his myxi and the vet gave him a quick check-up but didn't look too closely at his teeth as he didn't want to stress him too much. As he was then booked in for a fortnight later for his VHD they were going to give him a more thorough check-up then - that's booked for next Monday.

I think when Sooz had him checked that his teeth were given the all clear. He's been eating tons of hay since I had him so that's what's really worried me, that he hadn't touched it - and also that he normally dives for his bowl when I put his pellets in. He has been drinking - which he prefers in a bowl to a bottle. Apart from that he was bright as anything this morning. Of course now it's mid-afternoon and I don't know what's happened during the day - I'll finish work at four and go and see what's what. If he still hasn't eaten he'll be off to the vet. I did try and give his tummy a rub before I came to work but haven't ever done it before and wasn't sure if I was doing it right.

With the Infacol, I bought one that seems to have other stuff in it and it's a white sticky liquid, but there was another one that I think you had to take the box to the chemist's counter to get - did I buy the wrong one?

Last edited:
The Infacol is this one

http://www.infacol.co.uk/index.cfm

I do hope Tarquin will be better when you get home

Janex

Thanks Jane. It's always horrible having to leave them to come to work when they're not quite right. Hopefully I'll get home and there'll be no hay and a pile of poops and I'll be so happy if there is. If not I'll be down the vet as fast as my legs will carry me. I feel particularly bad because of not having had him long - I always stress when buns don't do what's normal, but because we're all still settling in I feel even more responsible. He was very happy and bouncy this morning so I'm not feeling as panicky and sick as I would - though if he'd not been bouncy I'd have rung work and taken him down to the vet straight away anyway.

Looks like I got the right Infacol - how much should I give him? He is a teeny tiny bunny or does that not make a difference to the dosage?

Rebec

Heard from Becca and T has perked up now. He had a full tooth check under aneasthetic for his neuter and was given the all clear approx. 6 weeks ago now.

Been to Vet

Took Tarquin to the vet this morning as when I got up he had only done three poops all night. Yesterday he was fine - ate loads, pooped all over his cage and round the house.

Still bright but wasn't taking any chances with him. Vet listened to him and said his gut wasn't moving. He looked at his teeth and they are fine. He thinks it may be stress related but we don't know for sure. So he had gut stimulant and painkiller and I took him home with Science Recovery in case it was needed. Back tomorrow for more if necessary.

During the day he has eaten some grass and some Excel pellets - not interested in Science Selective - and a bit of carrot, dried dandelion and pineapple chunks so I'm fairly hopeful that things are getting better. He's also started drinking again which I don't think he did last night. Most importantly there are loads of poops so hopefully things are starting to move inside again.

Neither him nor Bella were interested in their Science Selective this morning - the only thing different is I put it in a new plastic container so wondering if there's a different smell to it. I wasn't worried about Bella this morning as there were loads of poops in her litter tray, but now I'm also worrying about her even though there really isn't any definite thing for me to worry about - when I threw some Excel pellets in her cage she has eaten them, along with dried dandelion, grass, veg and some of the pineapple chunks she normally only gets when she comes when I've called her. She just hasn't seemed to want to eat Science Selective and doesn't seem to have done many poops today, but then her normal pattern is to do loads during the evening and night and as she's very quiet during the day it's not usual for her to do loads then. I think I'm probably worrying about her because I'm worrying about Tarquin. If she hasn't had her Science Selective in the morning she'll be off to the vet too.

I have got some blackberry leaves from my mum and dad's garden - daft question, but should I cut all the spiky bits off?

Rebec

I would rip the spine off the leaf as it seems to have more thorns on it - just give them the leafey bit :) I think you're probably right about the SS smelling plasticy too - some new boxes really pong - try digging into the middle of it and hopefully there'll be a bit untainted in there :) Hope they'll be OK soon - they probably just need to settle down again.

Back