• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please!

Hi. I'm sure a few of you will remember a put a post in about Violet's appetite recently after having her spayed.I took her to the vets at the beginning of the week.She got the all clear was given another gut stimulant.Vet said her stitches looked fine and is happy with her progress.The vet also said i could start letting her out in her enclosure which is what i have been doing.

When i went to put her to bed i noticed that under her wound site feels like a medium sized sausage.Her wound was folded in on itself and stitched.It was fine and closed and healing on monday but now:shock: it feels like something is bulging under neath.She doesn't appear to be in pain and she is eating and pooing ok.There is nothing leaking out the wound site and it doesn't look red or feel hot to the touch.But it does feel like someone has stitched a sausage inside her albeit half of one.Has anyone else come across this?Is this normal?:shock:

When mine had their 10 post op check the nurse thought she could feel 'something' under Jess's wound like a lump but decided it was just the glue and nothing to worry about. Don't think it was the size of half a sausage tho :shock: Hope she's ok and that someone more experienced can advise you :)

Violet is a continental giant rabbit so i guess the wound site is bigger than a normal rabbit.She weighs about 6kg at the moment, if that helps.

Back