• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Making a hay rack

MacGyver Bunny

Warren Scout
Has anyone made their own hay rack? If so, what materials did you use? Do you have any pictures?

I want to make a hay rack for the new girls. For MacGyver, I keep his hay in a small plastic storgage tub and he just jumps in and eats. However, the girls like to use thier tub as a litter box. They actually have ceased using their actual litter box and just use the hay box. I don't want them doing this. All the rabbit hay racks in the stores are much too small for them. They eat a TON of hay!!!

Teri

My dad made me one out of fishing netting which was really good but now I just fill a litter tray and they can sit in it too. I have to cut up the straw so that Smudge can eat it as he has no incisors and a hayrack wasn't really ideal for storing short pieces of hay.

I use hanging baskets.
This one is a 'half moon' (can't say that without thinking of jaffa cakes:lol: ), attached with cable ties.
DSCN1190.jpg

And here's a hanging one
DSCN1070.jpg

They also love to sit in their boxes of hay or litter trays and chomp:D

like HS, I use hanging wall baskets outside, inside I just buy wicker baskets from au naturel or TK Max, they chew the baskets too which occupies them as well:lol:

I made them a huge hay rack out of garden fencing. However, they usually go through about 1/3 of a flake of hay a day and they were not eating as much with the hay in there. I "re-modeled" their pen and put the hay in the cage I found them in, just in a pile. Now if they potty while eating, it falls into the drop tray below. And they do potty, while they eat. Makes me crazy, MacGyver does not do that- he's too cool for that.

I'm on vacation right now, I'll be home tomorrow evening. I'll post pics of the new pen for you guys. I think it's super!

Back