PDA

View Full Version : Making a hay rack

MacGyver Bunny
13-09-2007, 07:42 PM
Has anyone made their own hay rack? If so, what materials did you use? Do you have any pictures?

I want to make a hay rack for the new girls. For MacGyver, I keep his hay in a small plastic storgage tub and he just jumps in and eats. However, the girls like to use thier tub as a litter box. They actually have ceased using their actual litter box and just use the hay box. I don't want them doing this. All the rabbit hay racks in the stores are much too small for them. They eat a TON of hay!!!

Teri

KarinB
14-09-2007, 11:14 PM
My dad made me one out of fishing netting which was really good but now I just fill a litter tray and they can sit in it too. I have to cut up the straw so that Smudge can eat it as he has no incisors and a hayrack wasn't really ideal for storing short pieces of hay.

HS
14-09-2007, 11:34 PM
I use hanging baskets.
This one is a 'half moon' (can't say that without thinking of jaffa cakes:lol: ), attached with cable ties.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/helenshaw/salt%20and%20pepper/DSCN1190.jpg

And here's a hanging one
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/helenshaw/Ruby%20and%20Bobby/DSCN1070.jpg

They also love to sit in their boxes of hay or litter trays and chomp:D

Denny
16-09-2007, 01:55 PM
like HS, I use hanging wall baskets outside, inside I just buy wicker baskets from au naturel or TK Max, they chew the baskets too which occupies them as well:lol:

beckys bunnies
17-09-2007, 11:08 AM
I also use half moon hanging baskets they work really well for me my bunnies love them :D

cheekytikki
17-09-2007, 11:29 AM
i use a long wall basket thingy mine love it and looks reaaly posh too :lol:

MacGyver Bunny
24-09-2007, 05:41 AM
I made them a huge hay rack out of garden fencing. However, they usually go through about 1/3 of a flake of hay a day and they were not eating as much with the hay in there. I "re-modeled" their pen and put the hay in the cage I found them in, just in a pile. Now if they potty while eating, it falls into the drop tray below. And they do potty, while they eat. Makes me crazy, MacGyver does not do that- he's too cool for that.

I'm on vacation right now, I'll be home tomorrow evening. I'll post pics of the new pen for you guys. I think it's super!