• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Washing Lionels blanket

angeleyes

Warren Veteran
Hi everyone

As i have read many times rabbits don't like strong smells and Lionel has just had an accident on his blanket! opps! I need to wash it really, i have soaked it all up with kitchen roll but would really like to wash it, do you think washing powder will be a problem? Will he hate the smell? Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Katie

I normally handwash my stuff in soapy water (washing up liquid) then rinse and spin it. If it's really soiled then you may have to put it in the machine :)

I do mine in the washing machine and have used both bio and non-bio (they don't get conditioner though! )

After inspecting his blanket it looks like he has been chewing it i don't know if he has swallowed any should i take him to the vet? Will he get sick if he ate any of it?

what sort of material blanket is it? mine actually have towels they pull threads out of it and chew it but I'm sure they don't swallow it. I would keep an eye on bun and make sure he's eating/pooing/he's acting normally. I think sometimes they just like to destroy things rather than actually eat them :roll:

I have found some brown fibres so i don't think he swallowed them! Its 100% cotton material. i will keep an eye on him though not sure wether or not to let him have it back?

Usually my rabbits chew stuff they shouldn't when they are waiting for fresh hay - try giving him a bundle of that instead maybe, as it's quite warm so he won't need a blanket really :)

I've read several articles on chewing/eating on here... Gabriel definately eats paper and i've never had a prob with him ..... his poos turned yellow after a stink with the Yellow Pages tho :oops: :oops: All buns have mounds of hay daily in their pit and a bowl of herbage i think he just likes paper...... ref washing, i shove everything in the machine doesn't seem to bother them :D

Back