• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Green Beans, Mange Tout, Sweet Peas...

Pipstrel

Mama Doe
can rabbits have them?

Keep trying to find different veg for them to have as they seem to get bored of them after a while!!

Mine LOVE green beans !! Oh and I LOVE watching them sit with them hanging out of their mouths, swapping them from side to side before the eventually get to the end and spit the hard bit out :lol: :lol: :lol:

Piper does that with long bits of hay she's look so funny doing it!

I'll make sure to get them some tasty peas and beans next time i go shopping then! they have run out of leafy carrots so guess it will be tomorrow :roll:

sweetpeas, mangetout yes in moderation as they are quite sweet. I'd go easy on the beans though, although french beans are slightly better than runner. All bean seeds contain lectins which "bind to intestinal cells preventing nutrient absorption and, when they enter the blood stream, they also bind to red blood cells. This causes the red blood cells to clump together, a process referred to as “agglutination”, rendering them useless"

Thats why you always need to make sure kidney and soya beans are 100% cooked and if you ate 1 raw castor bean you'd proably die (Contains RICIN)

Tried mine with capsicum last night (bell pepper) as my ratties go nuts for it but the buns were totaly indifferent. So far they have mainly been eating the stuff I have grown myself in our garden but being autum this is starting to run out now and I am gonna have to buy some stuff:shock:

sweetpeas, mangetout yes in moderation as they are quite sweet. I'd go easy on the beans though, although french beans are slightly better than runner. All bean seeds contain lectins which "bind to intestinal cells preventing nutrient absorption and, when they enter the blood stream, they also bind to red blood cells. This causes the red blood cells to clump together, a process referred to as “agglutination”, rendering them useless"

Thats why you always need to make sure kidney and soya beans are 100% cooked and if you ate 1 raw castor bean you'd proably die (Contains RICIN)

wow ok I didn't know that thanks for the advice, I only thought it was kidney beans that were poisonous. Think I'll stick with giving them the def safe veg and the occassional pea when we are having them :)

I take the beans out and give him the pods. He loves mangetout as well, but he won't eat a bit if the pea is too big. They get peas in a lot of muselui mixes, I think they're OK, but I don't give him them fresh as well.

Back