• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training

BunnyBekkie

Warren Veteran
My boyfriend's step dad has just got us LOADS of carpet for the hutches. We dont know how to go about letter training them. Biscuit & Nibbles don't do toilet in the house, and have certain areas in their hutches where they do, so maybe they won't do it on the carpet, but Bobby poops wherever he wants and he doesnt go in the "sheltered" bit of his hutch. He's always in the bit where you can see in.

Hmmmm...

I would worry they'd chew the carpets, but if it's for insulation then cover them with litter trays - that's the only way I've got Maa trained.

I put Spudseys droppings in her litter tray until she got the message and put bits of newspaper that she'd wee'd in too. She finally got the message and now goes in there for all her wees and most of her number twos though she does a few of these just outside as well.

Not bad for a wild rabbit!

I can't seem to get mine to use the tray for poops at all even if i put them all in the tray! they still keep having "accidents" weeing too!

Mine absolutely refuses to use the litter box when in her crate! I move it to the corner she likes to pee in and she goes in the opposite corner, so I move it to that corner and she starts peeing in another corner... Its like she's doing it on purpose! She's usually good about not peeing when she's out of her crate though, and when she does its in the same spot so I can put a litter box there. I'd be worried they would eat the carpet though, cause mine sure would!

They dont eat the carpets in the house.
Biscuit loves sleeping in a cat litter tray filled with hay and never poops in it, so if I was to put another one in her hutch just for toilet, she might think thats a bed too. And Nibbles doesn't wee in corners like most rabbits, she does it along the back wall of her hutch, along with lots of poops.
My girls are house trained, but I don't know how I did it. They just sorta learnt themselves. If they weed on the carpet, then they'd go straight back in their hutches so that could be how they learnt not to wee on carpet, but pooping was their own choice.

Wow I must be lucky

I must be a very lucky bunny mother - my 4 month lionhead little boy has gone from living inside for a few weeks to being moved outside and is litter trained already. Not sure how but his hutch is much cleaner and easier to clean. I didn't put a tray or anything in for the first day or two and just watched where he wee weed - then I put a corner litter tray where he had weed (after I had cleaned it) and put shavings in (some covered in wee) and have never looked back - he only occasionally goes elsewhere but this seems to be where his hay is so I resorted to putting a bit in the corner of his tray and so far so good.

Definately not an expert on bunnies (only ever had one about 7 years ago) but so far so good - must just be very very lucky!!!

Good Luck

Back