• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunny big worry

toadflaxbex

Warren Scout
I am having my bun bonded next week by a lovely lady at a rescue place I have all confidence in her. My problem is this... They bond, get on well while there, what happens when i bring them home to a new environment? They will be going in a brand new hutch that is no where near the old one, and my bun hasn't been in it or near it yet. Will they fight? I am so scared that they will fight and i won't know about it. Can fighting be fatal? I am really scared they will have a big bust up and get hurt.
Someone reassure me please.
(original bun = male, new bun = female)

Hi,just bonded my to lastnight and all yesterday,once they are bonded they cant be seperated.When they go in the new hutch just watch them for a couple of hours as the new enviroment they can get feisty but should settle.I slept in the kitchen with the rabbits last night to make sure they were ok.once they groom each other they are ok.if theres anything else just ask and if i can help i will,rick.

I will be able to keep an eye on them when we bring them home, but they will be outdoors so won't be able to sleep with them. trust me if i could I would!

Aslong as they are bonded when you bring them home they should be ok as long as you keep an eye on them for a couple of hrs,expect a bit of fur pulling thoe.

Take a piece of vetbed/fleece/old towel or something to the rescue, and ask to have it kept with the two buns during and after the bonding session . Then when you bring the buns home put it in the hutch before you put the buns in..it will be something familiar in there that smells of both of them, and that might help.When I brought mine home( newly partly-bonded pair from the rspca), I put put the carrier containing them in the hutch and let them come out by themselves in their own time. I had no problems at all..they ventured out very slowly had a look round and then rushed back into the carrier and groomed each other(I think it was a comfort thing). I left them alone during the night and in the morning they were both sitting in the hutch enjoying the sunshine. Fingers crossed it will go as smoothly for you.:)

I will try that. Do rescue centres mind ppl doing that? I think I have bugged this lady way too much with all my questions.
Also do I have to get brand new toys so he doesn't get all @thats mine get off' or will a wash suffice?

Last edited:
Back