• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

wasps

theresa

Warren Veteran
am i the only one with wasps hanging round their rabbits, ive got screens over the buns, so they cant actually get in at them,as ive already lost a bun to wasp stings . but i got stung when i went to feed my lot last night,. just wondering has anyone else having this problem.

Do you know where the wasps' nest is? We have a nest under the roof somewhere, but can't get to it. The entrance is close to my son's bedroom window and my foster hutch, but so far we have had no problems. The wasps don't go near the bunnies.
If you try not to feed them sweet stuff like apple and banana during daytime, then the wasps should not be interested. Or do they collect wood for their nest in or near the hutch? They use our old fence for that.

only feed apple ,carrot after dark, to try avoid the wasps, and as far as i know we dont have a nest, but there just seems loads out there and they are very aggressive,im very calm around them and have still been stung, and one actually landed on my dogs ear and just stung him unprovoked,

Hmmm, maybe you have an extra aggressive lot there. My son got stung once this summer, when a wasp flew up his sleeve, but they don't actively attack us. Maybe you can talk to the council, if they can send someone to check for nests.
We get attacked by parrakeets that drop apples onto us, and by giant wood pigeon poo. :lol:

My bunny shed was full of them and I found a crack in the wall where they'd built a nest right in between the cavity - have a look for little gaps where mortar has fallen out. Don't feed apple either - wasps love it and the smell will be left on the hutch even if the rabbits have eaten it.

ooooooh do you have ringnecks,living wild, i have a blue one, called blue i know not very imaginative, , love birds.ive been stung twice this year, first time last week ,four times on my boob, in a line which has scarred, and still sore, perhaps their after me:lol: :lol:

didnt think of that elve, must be in the rabbit pee and poo too, looks like buns is having spring greens instead, even my diluted bleach isnt keeping the little:censored: at bay.

ooooooh do you have ringnecks,living wild, i have a blue one, called blue i know not very imaginative, , love birds.ive been stung twice this year, first time last week ,four times on my boob, in a line which has scarred, and still sore, perhaps their after me:lol: :lol:

Do you wear some sweet smelling perfume or creme etc.? Who knows what they are after.
We have a huge colony of ring necked parrakeets here, they are beautiful birds, but also a major pest. They love apples, and once they have taken a small bite, they drop it. Very wasteful. The wood pigeons then eat the apples on the ground. And the parrakeets are also very noisy, especially when they are having an argument.

yeah suppose that could be a problem, do they do that high pitched sound you,ll know the one i mean, if they do, its bad enough when blue does it but a flock :shock: , i use ghost purfume, its what my buns are used too,

yeah suppose that could be a problem, do they do that high pitched sound you,ll know the one i mean, if they do, its bad enough when blue does it but a flock :shock: , i use ghost purfume, its what my buns are used too,

Yep, that's the one, and there are often 15 to 20 birds in our crab apple tree. Early in the morning. :roll:

poor thing, blue starts at four in the morning in the summer, maybe i can bring him to yours and he can teach them to talk for you,and maybe attrack a wifey,:lol: i hate keeping single creatures

A silly question but would wasps be able to spread myxi?

One chased me and Kira around in the garden this morning and I thought of it before reading this post.

A silly question but would wasps be able to spread myxi?

One chased me and Kira around in the garden this morning and I thought of it before reading this post.

No they can't - it has to be a blood-sucking insect to suck infected blood from one animal and transfer it by biting another - yuk :?

Back