• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Arthritic Brody

luvabun

Warren Veteran
:cry: as you can see from this pic, her spinal arthritis is much worse :cry: :cry: :cry: Her spine is almost vertical now and her back paws almost level with her front :cry: :cry:
As a result, I'm finding keeping her rear end clean.. even the megazorb//vetbed/hay in the litter tray (changed daily) is no longer keeping her dry. I think that because of the angle of her spine now, she's sitting in her wee/poo as soon as she's done it :cry: :cry:

I'll take her to Uncle Ivan (the previous Vet said there was nothing we could do :cry: ) but welcome any advice

ab001.jpg

Last edited:
Have you tried osteopathy?
:? can you please explain. The bits in between her spinal bones (that look like the classic cartoon dog bone) are degenerating and you can clearly see the degeneration on the Xrays. My last Vet said that glucosomine would not be of any use in that type of arthritis but was useful if it was in the joints.

might be worth using those pupply training pads in her litter tray Jill for now until you see what Ivan says;) her wee should be absorbed straight away as they are like kiddy nappies;)

Osteopathy is a mechanical manipulation which can help take the presure away. This will sound really silly as a comparision, but I have the same problem less or more :) I am seeing an osteopath/fysiotherapist who is currently studying ostheopathy for animals. He threats mainly dogs and horses, has for example threathed my parents dog.

The difficulty will be finding someone who is capable where you live... If you wish, I can ask mine next week when I see him if he thinks it is likely you could get results with osteo and if he knows somebody near you... He is traveling quite a lot to threath horses and its a small world, so who knows...

Thanks Clicquot but I'm such a wuss, the sound of "mechanical manipulation" scares the pants off me :oops:

We're off to the Vets tomorrow evening

well it is quite difficult to explain in English :oops: With mechanical I mean muscles and bones. Why don't you see what information you can find on the internet and ask your vet wether he thinks its worth trying?

I think Brodie is probably sitting in her wee because she can't posture correctly to toilet due to the pain, not because of the angle of her spine.

The simple answer to this might be to put her on metacam or other painkiller/anti-inflammatory for the rest of her life.

This might sounds scarey, but my Sh*tty was on a daily (high) dose of metacam for the last year and a half(ish) of her life.

Amy

I have some Metacam so will try her on that. We have an appointment with Ivan tomorrow evening so will discuss all possibilities with him.

Thank you

Back