• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How does rabbit with ears flop down have advance hearing?

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
Okay, I don't get this: Rabbit is known to have advance hearing. So with rabbit that has their antenna points up, no problem.

But how does breed like a lop that has their ear flop down have advance hearing? Their big ear is blocking the entrance.

That's why you don't get lops in the wild - it's a fancy breed designed to look cute, not to be practical (like a long haired rabbit is too) When Maa is worried about a sound (she doesn't hear as well as the others) she tries to hold up her ears to listen better - which looks really funny as they stick out sideways :lol:

lops hear what the y want to i/e food n veggies coming there way.

they are deaf to the sound of bedtime.

Yes they do stick there ears out to the side or forward or backwards depending on what danger thery think they are in.

If you cover your ears loosely with your hands (rather than sticking your fingers in your ears!) it doesn't actually affect your hearing that much so I'd have thought it'd be the same with lop ears - they hang quite losely so don't totally block the ears

my mini lop jon hears just as well as his friend, arthur. as said he holds his ears at odd angles while listening out

My lop can raise both her ears when she wants to. She looks dead funny! Most of the time, she only has one down. She's got really good hearing

Kira managed to stick one ear up vertically although the other is just hanging normally.

Arnie's ears are like radars following the sound around the room lol.

Jess moves her ears forward when she hears something, they're like antennas! Elsie's very good at 1 up 1 down so I don't know if she counts :lol:

such breed defy nature.

Most breeds defy nature. How many Rex's, Dutches or Nethies do you see in the wild? Most pet breeds all have something that would make them vulnerable in the wild, be it their fur density or colouring etc.

I find that Bobbin (mini-lop) seems to be almost deaf when cleaning himself. What I mean is if I come into his room and say hello to him when he's cleaning he doesn't look up. If he looks round and sees me it makes him jump :shock: I have to be careful that he knows I'm there before getting to close... bless!

When he's curious his ears point straight forwards and cover the side of his face, I suppose this is the equivalent to an uppy eared bun pointing theirs forwards - but it looks very funny! :D

Last edited:
Basing it on human theory (which I'll admit is probably way off buns!) then having the ears flopover will impair the hearing slightly.
But then as their hearing is so much better than ours I can't imagine it makes too much difference.
Also a large amount of sound is passed via bone conduction and general vibration so they will still hear loads whichever way their ears fall!
But my lop does does funny things with his ears when he's really desperate to hear something!

I've known many a lop rabbit that seem to be deaf, and some have more control in their ears than others do. It is not just the fact that the ear is covered slightly, but the normal uppy ears also act as a kind of 'ear trumpet' to amplify the sound which of course the loppies also lose out on.
The lop would surely have impaired vision too, as the ears would block the ability to see behind them properly, which is probably why they don't see or hear you approaching sometimes.

Back