• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oh what a welcome home after work.. and quick update.

catswhiskas

Warren Veteran
Well after last Thursday I have been on myxi watch big time. Lily and Sandy seem to be ok for now, (touch wood) and have carried on as normal. They are none the worse for their myxi jab either. Caramel is ok so far health wise..(touch wood again) however she has gone down hill in her mood since losing her 2 hutch mates. So last night I decided I would bring her in the house for the evening.

She sat on me for a while and then got down onto the floor. She stayed on the rug (we have wood flooring everywhere) but seemed happy. I stayed up ti 3 am with her having cuddles. She licked my nose and was purring through her teeth it was so lovely to see. So I got my bridge bunny Bugsy's hutch in and set it up for her in the dining room and put her to bed for the night. This morning she came out and stayed on the rug in the dining room and was in and out of her hutch. I popped her back in when I went to work and OH let her out when he got in. When I got home from work, apparently she brightened up loads and we have been having lots of cuddles etc. She is just adorable.

So tonight I get in from work at 9.40. First thing he says is "when is she going back outside it smells funny in house now"? :roll: :roll: :roll: Anyway I ignored this and I showed him pics of your indoor set ups. He started saying that he does't want her living in and how it will end up that the house is wrecked like it was when Lily and Maisie had spare room at old house.

Caramel is 4 now and I have been really suprised at how non destructive she is. It seems to have worn off in her old age, or maybe she hasn't found her feet yet inside. Then he said that the cage would take over the dining room and didn't I want a dining table (we never use one). The room leads into kitchen and has the PC in it and a storage cupboard and a comfy chair.... so a bunny hutch will just make it like another chill out room in my opinion. I dont want to live in a stinking cess pit (which is why I always moan at him about his collection of glasses and pants down his side of the bed which I now refuse to move). He really went off it and was a bit of a :censored:

So I said "look I just don't feel like a capable bunny mum and don't want to risk any more bunnies in my care, Caramel can't live alone and she needs to come in for some company". His argument is that before I got her 18 months ago she had always lived alone, outside. However I think that this is a far from ideal position for a bun to be in. Coming in in the evenings is not enough, being a house bun would be better.

So I ended up in BIG tears.... the weeks events all came out emotionally I think and his outburst put the cherry on top. He has agreed to a weeks trial with Caramel indoors. I dunno I just wanna do what is best and whatever I do it is always wrong. God that sounds pathetically self pitying... but that is how I feel. Stuck. Why can't my other half just understand about bunnies. I just don't know what to do.

Rant over :D :D :D

Rather than bring a hutch indoors, which may well have a bit of a smell, why don't you see if there is anyway your o/h would give a trial with her being confined to the bathroom when you are out. Small room, washable surfaces etc. Then you could just have her litter tray and perhaps a cardboard box with some fleece in for her bed. When I had our 2 in for the winter last year that's what I did..saved taking up space with cages etc.:)

Thanks Capel.... that is a possibility. At the min we are renovating and the bathroom is a slight building site. I personally can't smell anything. I think he is imagining it. The flooring in the dining room is laminate, so perfectly washable. Oh I am so stressed and so tired. I just want her to be happy and not to get it in the neck from OH. Men :censored: :censored: :censored: Why can't they all be like Neil or like the other OH's I hear about on here.

I feel for you, I really do:) . I'm fortunate as I have a bunny-besotted husband. I honestly suspect that he really is aware of a smell. It's not the bunster, but the hutch. Can you bond her with your other two, or get her a friend to live with so she'll be happy outdoors?

I have no other suggestions I'm afraid but I really hope this works out for you. He may even come round to being a bunny daddy once he's spent some time with an indoor bunny ;) :D

Unfortunately the female of the other pair hates every other rabbit alive.....she has caused Caramel real damage before in a bonding session.... the only reason I don't want another bun is because I feel that I am not a capable mother after losing the others to myxi ( I chose not to vaccinate... all my remaining buns are now vaccinated). I really have just lost my confidence.

Awww - it sounds like she's really happy indoors so I think I would just put my foot down - what's he going to do? Like you say, he has his bad habits - and being single I can tell you men smell worse than any bunny I've ever had :lol:

Sounds like he might be a bit jealous of the cuddles you're giving her too :rolleyes: I don't think she'd be happy confined to the bathroom on and off as suggested - she needs a secure home after all she's been through, and what you have set up sounds ideal :D

And another afterthought - maybe it's the hutch that smells? A cage or dog crate would be easier to deodorise if she's litter trained :)

Mine are indoors is a dog cage, and honestly there is liitle or no smell. Recently had a friend round and she was very supprised that she couldn't smell the rabbits.

At the minute I never sleep Elve lol! Too stressed! She is in an indoor cage... its clean.. seriously there is no smell???? He smells worse I can assure you!

My ex hated Audrey being inside, but he never complained about a smell- it was always the mess from hay and the chewing...and the fact she hates him heehee :lol:

She is holidaying outside in the summer house at the moment cos I've been doing some DIY, but a few weeks ago I took her dog crate away and left her free range in the kitchen - I've actually found this has cut down on her chewing, probably because she is much more relaxed being out free range!

I don't really agree with single bunns, but like you I don't want anymore...I know that's selfish though :? I think if you DO have single bunns they shouldn't be kept outside, that must be really lonely.

Oh thats the last thing you need :roll: sounds like he is being a bit unreasonable to me, surely he must know how upsetting this has been for you, and the one thing he could do to make it a bit easier is not winge about having Caramel inside! Men :evil:

On a practical side, get him to write a list of why he objects, then find solutions. I can't believe she smells that bad! Have you tried using carefresh bedding, cuts down on smells. If she has a cage and pen there is no worry about chewing etc....

It's your house too, there must be some compramise you can reach.

im so lucky oh not a big bunny fan but, is ok with arthur and jon living indoors, they have those plastic bottomed wire indoor cages, i use news paper, and clean them out daily and spray with the nice smelly hutch disinfectant. plus have a plug in going,

Oh well if there's no smell he's just jealous of the attention she's getting :rolleyes: I have a son and they don't really grow up as far as I can see - my son likes to whine and make demands just to make sure I care about pleasing him I think - it's just a habit they have :) Ignore it - I do :lol:

I'm an expert in bringing the O/H around to my way of thinking. What you need to do is bargain with him. i.e. If you have Caramel indoors, then he can have an IPod, football season ticket, or whatever. ;)

Amy

i agree with elve, my oh gets jelous of my family of pets,but must confess i do love to snuggly them, more than him, what does he want i feed him first, he should be grateful:lol: :lol:

Awww - it sounds like she's really happy indoors so I think I would just put my foot down - what's he going to do? Like you say, he has his bad habits - and being single I can tell you men smell worse than any bunny I've ever had :lol:

Sounds like he might be a bit jealous of the cuddles you're giving her too :rolleyes: I don't think she'd be happy confined to the bathroom on and off as suggested - she needs a secure home after all she's been through, and what you have set up sounds ideal :D

When my two were indoors they were put in the bathroom if I had to go out and they were in there during the night. It was just the same as putting them in a dog crate, but bigger. I don't think they were bothered or confused by that set up. It's where their litter tray was kept and they'd often toddle off and sit in there during the day.

very simple case of jealousy.... you love your pets more than me and if you bring them in when will i get attention strop strop strop.... just ignore it, give him loads of cuddles as well as the bun and im sure hell forget the smell hes made up in his head.... if it was my o/h id buy him linx and suggest he looks closer to home for the smell... hehehehehehe (im mean tho)

Back