• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I'm worried Stu has Myxi

Ab & Stu

Alpha Buck
Hi

When i came home tonignt i let Stu out and did the usual check! I noticed he had a little lump on the top of his ear with a scab on it. It looks like he has scratched it made it bleed a bit and it's scabbed over. But being a parnoid new bunny mum i am worried he had nodular myxi. He was vaccinated two weeks ago and is due o go for his VHD jab on Saturday. He is eatin fine and is his usual can't stop binkying self! I just can't work out how to post photo's but i can email it to someone to look at to let me know if possible? I'm so worried :(

Thanks

Abbie

Are you sure it isn't from the myxi jab itself. My bun had this himself and it came up about 7 days after his jab.

The vet did say this but it's higher than the actual place tat the vet gave the jab. Also i kept an eye where he had been jabbed as the vet said if it scabbed over this was a good sign, but it didn't and went away. Would it be likly that it's come up 14 days after in a different place? I'm so worried :(

No just the one! i have checked him everywhere (much to his disgust)! Are there aby other symptoms? how quickly would other lumps come up?

Thanks for your replies!!

I'm not sure really...someone else will know. If you are still worried tomorrow there is no harm popping him along to the vets for a check up
x

When my rabbit went down with it last week, the lumps started around his eyes and got worse really quickly. There seemed to be more appearing that first evening. He also had spots right inside his ears. His nose also went pink and swollen by the next morning. Hope your is ok. Pam

Hi there, it sounds to me more like he has maybe scratched himself... I wouldn't worry. Mine showed no signs of myxi and then 16 hours later one had it full blown, face all swollen and eyes shut. Genitals swollen too. The other just had swollen genitals. Please don't worry. I really don't think this is anything to worry about. Like Lou said if you are still worried tomorrow pop him to vets xxxxxxx

It really doesn't sound like Myxi to me either......try not to worry yourself too much. I know that is easier said than done, though.:( I think perhaps a trip to the vet will set your mind at ease.

All the very best of luck.

Thanks everyone!

I went and let him out this morning and the scratch has gone down and there aren't lumps anywhere else and no swollen bits so i think i'm just worrying!!! Thank you again! I feel a bit silly now :roll: Just new to all this!! :D

Thanks

Abbie

Back