• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Night Time Bonding

mullethead

Mama Doe
Hi,i have been bonding my rabbits since 9.00 this morning in the outside run,everything has gone good but what should i do at the night as you cant seperate them ,i was going to put them in there hutches and put there doors together so they can still see each other as i dont want to put them in the same hutch incase there is a bad fight,is this ok,please help:?

Just keep them in the kitchen over night, don't put them in separate hutches. Do you have a spare indoor cage? I put mine in a dog crate over night.

What if they have a big fight and i dont here them or should they be ok as they have been all day apart from fur pulling,ive got a very big sanatised hutch ready for use if that would be ok.

Do you have to get up in the morning? If not I really would suggest dragging a mattress and duvet downstairs and sleeping in the kitchen with them, or the hallway, or the bathroom, or wherever you have a place to leave them together. I've done this several times in the past (3 nights in a row when bonding my foursome!) and I think it does make a difference - as they are still left together but you should wake up if there is a big scuffle so not only is it a little safer, it's also a bit more reassuring for you!

If you are able to keep an eye, I wouldn't separate them as you may find you end up going 'backwards' in the morning.

When i got Honey i stayed up all night with her and Dillion, Lucky it was love at first sight, they never had one fight quite they were togther.
When i got Harley to go with Honey after Dillion went to the bridge i again stayed up all night where they were fine all day but had a couple of disagrements during the night, They have since had a couple of little fight but nothing serious.

I'd try and keep them indoors eg kitchen overnight if you can too, with you in distance so you can hear them if anything starts. When I bonded mine I kept a radio on all the time (they still have it now!) I don't know if it helps but I like to think it does. Make sure they have room to get away from each other if any chasing happens (but not too much!) Good luck hope you have a good night :)

Well the sanatised hutch is indoors and there is plenty of head room and it is 6ft so plenty of room,they are both in it now and all is well, they are both exploring.All whats left is for me to set myself up for the night in the kitchen with the rabbits and dogs,oh no ere we go :lol:

OOOOOOHHHHHHH yesssssssssss,it all went great,both are grooming each other and snuggling up aswell,i can safely say they are bonded.Putting them both into there new playhouse 2night for bunny heaven,rick.:D :D :D ;)

has it been cleaned to make it smell neutral? If so then yes....but clean the bowls, toys and bottles too just to make sure.

Yes it is all sanatised,but will do bowls and water bottles aswell,they will be going in there new playhouse with the hutch inside to act as a snug box,would this be ok.

sounds great to me. Keep an eye on them for the first couple of hours after moving them in though, sometimes they get frisky again when they change environment.

Back