• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed

Dannikins

New Kit
Hi,

I dont currently own a rabbit but am thinking aboutit. I just want to know a few things. Are netherland dwarf rabbits one of the smallest rabbits and do they have nice temperaments? What other breeds of rabbit would you reccomend? If i do get a rabbiti would like to keep it inside in a large cage can you please post pics or links of some good ones? And i am right in thiking that it is alot better to keep two rabbis than one?

Any replies would be grateful!

Netherland dwarfs are pretty much the smallest breed readily available as pets. Temperament is not based on breed like it is for dogs, having said that people have mentioned on numerous occasions the peacefulness of the giant breeds, this is possibly due to the fact that they are much bigger, don't see humans as such a threat and therefore can be more relaxed around us. They take up lots of room though!

I have a Mini Lop who is a little bigger than a Nethie but still one of the smallest breeds. He is lovely and playful and curious although like most rabbits very much dislikes being handled.

It really depends on the individual character and if you get a bun from a rescue they will already know the characters and will be able to get one to suit you.

I have a large indoor cage which can be seen on the thread RallyBunny mentioned.

Rabbits ideally should be kept with a neutered companion although if you have a lot of spare time to be with your bun then human interaction can be a good substitute for rabbit company.

Welcome to RU! :D :wave:

I love nethies :D A single bunny indoors can be perfectly happy if you give it a lot of time out of the cage and affection/play - although they do sleep in between the hours of about 11am and 4pm, and you will need to make electrical wiring secure from teeth - it's their instinct to chew them. Rescues often have nethies in too - I adopted Tia aged about 2yrs, and she was adorable (sadly died last year)

P1010002.jpg

I have a netherland dwarf called Finbar. He is a house rabbit he is very inqusitive and often jumps on the couch to see what is going on but he can also be quite fiesty and is definately the boss over Mabel my lop but I do love the way he uses his ears to communicate.

Thanks for all your replies! I have thought very hard about owning a rabbit and have decided that they may not be the best pet for me, in fact i dont think i need any other pets, just a hobby to occupy me. I still think rabbits are adorable but i dont think i would make a good enough owner. Thanks for your help!

Back