• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fashion for my rexy boys

chloaster

Warren Veteran
Mac & Harry??

CIMG8671.jpg

Harry & Mac??

CIMG8682.jpg

Harry in Red and Mac in Blue!!
:lol: :lol:

CIMG8674.jpg

Today I have found out why I am not a vet, their wraps lasted about a minute, having redone them about 5times I now have fingers crossed they might last 5minutes!! :rolleyes: Lenny seems to have got thicker fur on his paws and doesn't need my special boots - probably laughing at Mac and Harry as I type! :oops: I had special day glo green for him too :rolleyes:

Yay! Genius! :lol: :lol: :lol: Hock protection and identity in one!!! :lol: :lol: BTW its been about half an hour since your post so you must be on your 7th or 8th application by now !!:rolleyes: Hey maybe you can make Daisy a crash helmet out of the green one!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: x

Yay! Genius! :lol: :lol: :lol: Hock protection and identity in one!!! :lol: :lol: BTW its been about half an hour since your post so you must be on your 7th or 8th application by now !!:rolleyes: Hey maybe you can make Daisy a crash helmet out of the green one!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: x

:lol: :lol: I'm getting ready for work and haven't dare go look again yet!! :oops: :lol: Good idea about the crash helmet for Daisy although I also have a rather fetching pink which might suit her better!! :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: I'm getting ready for work and haven't dare go look again yet!! :oops: :lol: Good idea about the crash helmet for Daisy although I also have a rather fetching pink which might suit her better!! :lol: :lol:

Oooh yes! We like PINK !!! :D :D

Edit - btw could you wrap the bandage from higher so you hook it round the joint? May help to keep it in place??

Wow! Those a really beautifull!!! (rabbits not the bandage)

Question: how do you tell them appart? Need some ideas here...I also have twins at home and it is simply impossible to tell them apart... Is it possible that I saw a picture of one of your rabbits with a collar???

Hi Chloe. When I first had Floss and was really concerned about her hocks I did a google search and came across an American site which suggested collecting as much of the rabbit's fur as possible and making a pad out of that , and then bandaging it in place. I think they suggested that the rabbit's own fur helped the healing(?). Anyway, It came with step-by-step instructions about how to make the pad and then how to bandage it securely to a jumpy bunster!! As usual, I can't find the link but I have found one which has good diagrams about bandaging rabbits' back hocks. Here's the link:
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Surgery/Bandaging/band_foot.htm

Edit - btw could you wrap the bandage from higher so you hook it round the joint? May help to keep it in place??

:thumb: Have done!! Harrys were still on and Mac had one on so better than first attempt!! :lol:

I did a google search and came across an American site which suggested collecting as much of the rabbit's fur as possible and making a pad out of that , and then bandaging it in place. I think they suggested that the rabbit's own fur helped the healing(?). http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Surgery/Bandaging/band_foot.htm

Thanks for the link Hilda - I did use Charlie and Shadow as volunteers and gave them a quick grrom and rolled their fur up and used it as padding - the boys don't seem to be moulting at the mo so couldn't get anything off them - I'm sure if I'd found a nice white outfit though I could have got loads off :rolleyes:

Question: how do you tell them appart? Need some ideas here...I also have twins at home and it is simply impossible to tell them apart... Is it possible that I saw a picture of one of your rabbits with a collar???

They have different colour bandages!! :lol: :lol: All four of them looked different once I got to know them. Mac is easy he has a little nick out of his ear, Starr was slightly smaller, Lenny and Harry are hardest to tell apart but they're different character wise so I can tell which is which by the way they behave. I wouldn't put collars on them because a) they'd hate them and b) they are so hyper they'd probably hang themselves or do some damage with them on. I wouldn't recommend them.

I'm sure I did see a rex with a collar on the forum somewhere...was another one then... I never thought about collars, for the obvious reasons, but seeing that picture...

I can also tell the difference because off their behavior, clicquot is much more noughty then her brother... Problem was, she needed medicine and I always gave it on a bit paersly, but when they are both "on their legs", meaning standing up, begging for food and being hyper, it is very difficult to see who is who... Furthermore mine are a kind of mixture of colors, so no help there...

:lol: What gorgeous photos!! :D :love: :love: :love:

Do they need bandages? I've never thought about putting them on Audrey's feet...her hocks seem to change quite a lot- sometimes they look quite good- just bald, and other times a red and scaly- when they are like that I put cream on.

:thumb: Have done!! Harrys were still on and Mac had one on so better than first attempt!! :lol:

- the boys don't seem to be moulting at the mo so couldn't get anything off them - I'm sure if I'd found a nice white outfit though I could have got loads off :rolleyes:

Good going!! Worry ye not about the fluff......come sat you will have enough to pad ALL your bunnies AND make me a jumper !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: What gorgeous photos!! :D :love: :love: :love:

Do they need bandages? I've never thought about putting them on Audrey's feet...her hocks seem to change quite a lot- sometimes they look quite good- just bald, and other times a red and scaly- when they are like that I put cream on.

I'm not 100% sure to be honest :? I've put the stable matting down but their bald patches do seem to be getting more sore looking and I wanted to try and catch it before it got too bad. I took them to the vets Tuesday and she had a look at them and said they did look quite sore and that cream and bandages for a while would help them just recover a bit. I'm going to play it by ear and see how they go - hopefully the redness will calm down pretty quickly and I'll be able to leave them off.

What cream do you use Mandy? My vet recommended Dermisol.

Awwwwww lovely pics!!

I have found that if a Rex's hocks need a dressing its best to make a sort of large 'corn plaster' Something that means that there is no actual pressure on the sore area.
I use 3-4 cosmetic cotton wool pads (the round flat ones) I cut a hole through all 3-4 and then fix it over the hocks so the sore skin can be seen through the whole. I secure the pads with micropore tape then put the cohesive bandage on.
This means that when bun takes weight on their hocks there is no direct pressure on the sore area.
Gawd, I am not very good at explaining things :oops: so hope you get what I have tried to say........:?

This was poor Lady Lydia's sore hock

Picture653-1.jpg

:cry:

Janex

Yikes sore hocks look so nasty :shock: . Once they've got better and the bandages removed, is there anything that can be done to prevent it happening again :? I'm asking as my friend has 2 young rexes and I'm getting prepared... jsut in case :oops:

I don't want to scare anybody, but allthough this doesn't actually look lifethreatening, you really have to be carefull... One off our members lots her flemish giant because off this. Some bacteries got in the body trough the sole and caused severe infection,she couldn't move her legs anymore and the rabbit hat to be put to sleep. Those wound weren't even open,just red, pinkish.

I don't want to scare anybody, but allthough this doesn't actually look lifethreatening, you really have to be carefull... One off our members lots her flemish giant because off this. Some bacteries got in the body trough the sole and caused severe infection,she couldn't move her legs anymore and the rabbit hat to be put to sleep. Those wound weren't even open,just red, pinkish.

One of my first Rexes had to have a hind leg amputated due to Osteomyelitis secondary to Ulcerative Pododermatitis :cry: So yes, it can become very serious.

Jill, Lydia's hocks are now healed but there has not been full fur regrowth so I have to be vigilant with checking the skin has not broken down again. Sadly once this happens it is usually a chronic condition that needs live-long management.
However, some Rexes remain completely unaffected. Its really yet another 'Inbreeding' problem :roll:
My Jack always had very fluffy back feet!!

Janex

They look fantastic! Looks good with black too ;)

I reckon its them other buns who's been pulling off the bandages out of jealousy.......:rolleyes:

Back