• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Micro chips

Yep, rabbits can be chipped :) The blue cross I think chip them plus a few RSPCA branches - one of the rabbits I fostered was chipped.

Tam

My vet asked me last time I took Bella and Benji if I wanted them done, so yes they can be, but I havent a clue how much they are, as I didnt get Bella and Benji done:D

I'm a great believer in pets being chipped too but I wouldn't get Smudge and Daisy chipped because being the kind of rabbits they are, if they ever got out of our garden they wouldn't go to anyone anyway and would be extremely hard to catch too.

Have a search (microchip without the space) as this does come up a few times. Quite a few people say they dont see the point which I dont really understand but there you go!

I had Muppet chipped whilst he was being neutered. It was £10 or so. Obviously I'm not planning on letting him escape but better safe than sorry.

Microchipping appears to be on the increase: from what I can tell more and more rabbits are being chipped which will mean that the likelihood of them being scanned (if they are lost n found) is increasing too.

Silver was done, the people at the crematory said they might find her chip and did I want it if they did :shock: :?

I thought about it, I think its a good idea, but it doesnt seem like most people (inc some RSPCA branches) dont bother to check rabbits, so I havent done mine yet. May be I'll ask the vets on Fri when they get neutered.

All my buns have always been chipped :D

Most RSPCA branches and some council animal wardens will do it for a tenner each so worth ringing round as vets are always more expensive! ;)

I mentioned to my vet yesterday that my new bun was a rescue and he checked her for a microchip with a little handheld reader. I haven't had mine done, they are indoor buns and I don't have a garden to escape from. How are they chipped? Does it have to be done under GA? Does it hurt them?

No it's not done under GA, but if you wanted it done the best time IMO would be whilst they are being neutered and therefore under GA (just because I don't think they need to feel pain if you can avoid it)
The chip is the size of a grain of rice and is implanted under the skin. It is suppossed to be painless, but they must feel it as it would hurt us to have a large needle in the skin.
Most dogs and cats don't seem to notice it being done, but I've seen some kittens cry out when they've been done (just less skin I guess) :)

No it's not done under GA, but if you wanted it done the best time IMO would be whilst they are being neutered and therefore under GA (just because I don't think they need to feel pain if you can avoid it)
The chip is the size of a grain of rice and is implanted under the skin. It is suppossed to be painless, but they must feel it as it would hurt us to have a large needle in the skin.
Most dogs and cats don't seem to notice it being done, but I've seen some kittens cry out when they've been done (just less skin I guess) :)

Cats have REALLY tough skin to chip! Dogs are much easier, the needle goes in and you don't feel any resistance until the butt of the gun hits the skin! With cats however you really need to push.

I don't think it really hurts them though. I chipped a puppy once, he yelped before I'd even touched him (typical man! :roll: ) so i gave him a biscuit and quickly chipped him whilst he was gobbling that. He hadn't even finished the biscuit by the time it was done and hadn't noticed a thing!

Have to say none of my rabbits are done - but then mine all have rings for ID which a far more likely to get checked if bun gets lost.

My Aunt did once have a man ask her to microchip him :shock: :? She refused!

Well after what I have been through this week with losing Tinkerbell I am kicking myself for not getting the bunnies chipped. I have always got the cats chipped but it just didn't occur to me to get the bunnies done. I know it doesn't guarantee your rabbit being returned, but at least there would have been more chance.:cry:

I have considered doing it...but I'm a little unsure about the prize+I don't know who'd be bothered to check for a chip in a rabbit anyway.... Luckily my buns have never escaped, and hopefully never will. Sasuke and Aroma are both tattoed but the main number is useless for identification, Sasuke has a registration tattoo though, so he might be possible to track trhough NKF (Norwegian version of BRC) if he was ever found...
Maybe I'll get Zakura done, shes already cost me lots already so:lol:

Mine was done today whilst he was neutered.
The vets were doing it for free so I didn't lose out by having it done.
In some ways its no where near as useful as it might be for a cat or dog but at the same time both mine have used their houdini powers to teleport out of a seemingly secure room so I supppose its always a possiblity.
Better to be safe than sorry is my new motto!

Back