• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How Long Do You Leave Them

mullethead

Mama Doe
Hi got my doe n buck bonding at the moment but want to know how long you can leave them together for,is it the longer the better.They are both interested in each other but the doe is the dominant one as she is the one who is doing the fur pulling,please help,rick

Once you start and unless there is any serious damage or fighting they should stay together and not be seperated EVER.

I usually leave them in a neutral spot such as my kitchen for up to 5 days, clean and neutralise the hutch and run they are to use and then if all has gone well pop them in the hutch together....I can usually do this within 48 hours but obviously some bonds take longer.

Hi,
Thanks for getting back to me.
Just wanted to ask,what happens when we have to go out? do we still leave them together? They have been in the kitchen together now for the past 2 hours,and seem to be ok,no serious fighting although sophie is making it clear that she is the boss by nipping bobby and only letting him interact with her on her terms,Bobby has grunted at her a few times,as i think hes a little fed up of being nipped!
I am just a little wary of leaving them unsupervised together,do you think they will be ok?
also what happens with sleeping arrangements tonight,do they go back to their own hutches as usual or do i leave them together in the kitchen?
Thanks Rick

I also leave them together, otherwise they will have to go through the same stages of bonding every time you put them together. If you leave them together, they can gradually work out their pecking order. When one has to see the vet, you have to take the other along, too. I changed vets because my old one would not allow the other 3 to come along for Luna's spay.
I currently have a bonding of 4 going on, and it is going very slowly. The newcomer is still a baby and does not fight back, but the other two girls bully her quite a bit. She's always glad to see me and get a bit of attention from me. It was the same when I added Luna as a baby, it took about a month until she was fully accepted, and even now we still have a few chasings and nippings once in a while.

I always arrange bondings for when I can spend at least the first 36 hours with the rabbits and they stay in the kitchen overnight.

Once they are laying together or have mutually groomed eachother its a reasonable assumption to leave them alone for a while....but I still tend to check on them every 30-45 minutes for a few hours before I would go out and leave them.

Hiya,
Thanks for the advice,I will keep a close watch on them both.
They seem to be relaxed now both are lay down,quite close to eachother and if bobby thinks we are coming into their space,he will run to sophie.
Dont know if this is promising or not but fingers crossed!
Thanks Rick

Back