• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dog Crates or Indoor Hutches?

catswhiskas

Warren Veteran
Who has what and why? What do you think is better and why? Caramel is currently using my brisge bunny Bugsy's old indoor hutch as a base and is hopping around back room, however when I go out I need to shut her in. It is too small really and I need to upgrade either to a larger indoor cage or a dog crate... which is better. I have never used a dog crate? What are the advantages and why do people choos them over indoor cages?

I use to use hutches stacked in the rabbit room but now I use indoor cages stacked two high. They are lighter and more airy and the bunnies can see each other and what is going on around them so they are less likely to get bored or depressed.

I have used dog crates but personally didnt like them, they were not suited to my situation.

Hi,

We had a dog crate but the buns kept weeing over the side of the litter tray and it was going on the wooden floor. We now have nice deep indoor cage (they have a pen attached to it all the time they are never shut in it) and a deep litter tray with a rim, this seems to have saved the wooden floor apart from the odd accident!!

The dog crate was good for space tho and I put a shelf in it which is now in the cage!

Hello, I used to have a huge dog crate but I never shut them in it so now I've got a smaller indoor cage with a box of hay on top. They just use it as their base and its nice to see them munching their hay on top of it. The only reason i changed was because it was in my living room and was huge. as they were never shut in it I thought I would get something to suite both our needs. Were my circumstances different I would proabably have stuck with the crate.

I used to use a dog crate but got fed up constantly having to clean up the mess that escaped. I now have a 140cm indoor cage from zooplus and its much better. I one of the zooplus runs too which I attach to the cage.

I have a 4 ft dog crate, but only use it in emergencies. I can fold it flat when not in use, and I have two very deep litter trays, so there's not much mess outside the crate. It has a strong plastic tray as floor, which is easy to clean, and not as heavy as the metal ones.

This is their Zooplus cage. Someone else has posted a better pic of one on your other thread :D I attach a Zooplus run to the front of it for when i'm out and they have run of the dining room and kitchen when im home

DSC00105.jpg

They used to be in this dog crate with run attached in my spare bedroom

000_0458.jpg

Back