• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tiny has been put to sleep

Liloupricou

Young Bun
Hello

I'm so heartbroken, the vet called today to say that Tiny has to be put to sleep. I can't believe it...

I'm so crossed after the vet, after myself to have chose this vet.
If people didn't see my thread from last night, we took Tiny to a new vet as we moved 2 months ago, he wasn't eating much since Sunday so I wanted him to be checked. He has always been very fragile with his stomach. My husband took him to the vet, the vet took Tiny in a different room to have a look at him and 2mn after Tiny started to scream very hard and the vet came back to say is injured his spine. What type of Vet was it? I don't know. They didn't have a clue on rabbit and I'm feeling guilty to have taken Tiny there, if I did look a bit more or asked for advice in the forum Tiny willl be still alive right now.

I'm so heartbroken, he was my little bunch of joy, the house feels so empty with him. I need to clear his cage, toys etc... but I don't have the courage to do it.

It's so sad.

Can I ask you all the next time you go to a new vet, ask them if they are used to rabbit etc... don't do the same mistake as me. My little Tiny died because of me....

So sorry. Did the vet injure his spine or was it injured before? Don't blame yourself. It is hard to know the first time you go to a vet if it is the right one.

xxx

That is horrific, I'm so sorry :cry: :cry: :cry:

I don;t understand why the vet took the rabbit into another room in the first place why could they not check Tiny with your husband there?!

I think you should look into this in more detail, I don't know what the normal practice is but I'm sure there is something that can be done about this, compensation or something. Obviously something happened in there but unfortunately your husband couldn't witness it. Firstly you should demand to know what happened exactly, although I understand if you are so heartbroken this would prove to be difficult.

Thinking of you :cry: :cry: :cry:

Maybe he wont have gone in vain if you can stop it happening to another poor bunny.

So Sorry for your loss :(

What the point my rabbit is gone, I don't want compensation I want my rabbit back and this I can't have it
I understand that compensation is not important, but you really should put a complaint in to make sure this vet cannot do it to someone else's rabbit and have to go through the same as you! You should write a complaint to the practice manager and let them know exactely what happened!

I can't see any reason either why your bunny should have been examined in a different room...

Vera

Good grief I am so sorry :shock: :cry: :cry:

I know that nothing can bring Tiny back to you and a cheque for 100 Billion Pounds would not replace him. But by making a formal complaint, both to the Senior Partner at the Practice and a copy to the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons at least the Vet concerned will be forced to address the shortcomings in his/her Rabbit knowledge.

Give yourself a while to come to terms with the devastating events and then see if you feel able to put a letter of complaint/concern together.

I cannot begin to imagin how you must be feeling :cry:
I am so very sorry :cry: :cry:

Janex

I didn't mean that compensation would be any replacement for Tiny, that could never happen. Compensation stings the people who have to pay it and it may make them think about how they handle another bun in the future.

Oh NO!!!! I`m so, so sorry:cry: :cry: :cry:

Poor Tiny & poor you! I understand you must be absolutely devastated, but please don`t blame yourself you did absolutely nothing wrong, you took Tiny to someone you thought you could trust & it was the vet that made a serious mistake.

I know you are probably unconsolable right now but please when you are a little less shaken complain about this vet, so what happened can be addresssed & hopefully you will be able to prevent other bunnies suffering the same fate.:cry:

Thinking of you at such a sad time

Hugs
Su.xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am so sorry to hear of this :cry: .... You gave Tiny a lovely life while you had him and it is very sad it has had to end this way.... do not blame yourself but i would do something, complain ....anything.... before this happens again...this vet should NOT get away with this.
Thinking of you at this very sad time. xx

I cannot believe this. I am so so sorry. What sort of damage did they cause? Has he admitted responsibility? Did he drop him? You definately need to get this vet reported... this is disgusting. I am so sorry for your loss, but please don't blame yourslef. These people are professionals and we put our trust in them to do what is right for our babies. How were you to know? It is not your fault and when you are feeling all this grief right now, you do not need to be feeling guilt as well. But I urge you to report this vet as others have said, they MUST be held accountable for this. Thinking of you at this very difficult time xxxxxxxxxxx

Just thought I should add that the Vet may actually be feeling terrible too. Sadly *accidents* do happen and in some professions an *accident* can have dire consequences.

The Vet should have asked to come and visit you at home to explain exactly what happened and to allow you to ask questions. He/she should not have just dealt with the tragic situation over the phone.

I would ask to have face to face contact with the Vet who treated Tiny. You may find that this alone would be enough. I have often gone into situations 'all guns blazing' and who could blame you if you were to do so now. But experience has taught me that talking things through first *sometimes* helps. Of course it cant change what has happened. But if it was a geniuine *accident* and you saw, face to face, the Vet's distress and regret *maybe* it would make it more bearable for you. Imagining the Vet just didn't care will only add to your grief.

Thinking of you at this dreadful time

Janex

Sorry to hear this terrible news.
Thinking of you.
(((( Liloupricou)))) (Hugs)

In another thread in another topic, i suggested someone made a list of good vets by area so people could look for a good one near to them.
Perhaps this could be considered?
Also list vets NOT recommended.

Save anyone else going to this vet again.
Save it happeng to someone else's beloved Bunny.

The RWA helpline holds a directory of good rabbit vets across the UK.

They can be reached on 08700 465249.

Back