• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my poor bunnies

happy little bunny

Warren Scout
my rabbits were vacinacted for myxi last week i took them back to the vets today as i suspected that they had myxi.
i was half right they have been diognosed with lumpy ear or something like that as i understand it its a strain of myxi and the only reason its not the full strain is because of when they were vacinated.
i was wondering if theres anything i can do for them other than the anti biotics that the vets has given me?

please help there my babies

my rabbits were vacinacted for myxi last week i took them back to the vets today as i suspected that they had myxi.
i was half right they have been diognosed with lumpy ear or something like that as i understand it its a strain of myxi and the only reason its not the full strain is because of when they were vacinated.
i was wondering if theres anything i can do for them other than the anti biotics that the vets has given me?

please help there my babies

Don't know any advise, but hope they make a full recovery soon x

Hi happy little bunny.... I lost 2 non vaccinated buns to myxi last week. They had full Myxi, sounds like your have nodular Myxi. The anti biotics your vet have given should help. I know there are a few people on here currently nursing buns through Myxi... please stay positive. Someone will be along with some more avice soon. Keeping them warm and ensuring they are eating are the main things...hopefully someone with more info will post very soon. x

Vaccinated buns can get a milder form of myxi called NODULAR Myxi. They get the lumps around the lips, nose , eys and ears as well as over the body, and some get them on the genitals as well. They may also have swollen and weepy eyes. I thought the recovery rate was much higher ..80-90%, but as yours were vaccinated only a week ago that may be why the odds seem shorter. However, when Floss got it last year she was also treated with antibiotics and recovered. If they are young buns who live outside try to ensure that they are warm and draught-free. Put a probiotic in their drinking water to give them a bit of a boost as well. It helps with their digestion esp if they are on antibiotics. Are they on Baytril? Sending recovery vibes to the bunsters. Keep us posted.

This is a very long thread, but worth reading as the lady running the rescue successfully nursed some of these rabbits through myxi - Yours only have the nodular kind so they stand a very good chance of survival if you nurse them through it - some of them get it worse than others, depending on their immune system - good luck :)
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=97953

i have brought them inside while there poorly and yes there on baydrill and some cream for there eyes fllosses genitals are really quite swollen poor little girli was thinking of giving them some echineacha (spelt wrong i no) to try and boost there eimune system

Back