• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Struggling when picked up??

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
I know that most bunnies do not like being picked up and cuddled but if you have to hold them, when they struggle, is it best to put them down on the floor, or will this teach them that if they struggle, they get put down on the floor, which to them is a reward?

My vet told me to let bunny go...they can easily dislocate their necks when struggling which can result in death.

Liquorice HATES being picked up (unfortunately!), so we just leave him and let him do his own thing :cry:

I'd say it depends on the amount of struggling. A little wiggling I'd wrap the bun more in my arms and increase firmness of grip to help bun feel more secure, then gradually go for a controlled release, treat and lots of praise. If its more of an "Oh my god you're trying to kill me" I would put them down straight away, no treat or praise.

Sooty's hated being picked up from the word go and I found taking things really slowly has worked for me. Me well wrapped up, oven gloves etc to help my confidence. Kneel. Small lift for short time, praise and treat. He can now be held reluctantly for 2 or 3 mins although he doesn't like being moved at the same time. As soon as I put him down he runs straight to where i keep his pellets :lol:

My Piper hates being picked up! She has a little towel that I keep in her cage for her to play/snuggle/warm up with and I find that if I wrap her back half up in that before I pick her up she's much more comfortable and doesn't struggle at all. Its also better for me because then her razor sharp claws can't get me!

my jessica thinks shes going to die every time she gets picked up. I tried over 2 years different techniques, praise, food everything you can think of. I made the decision not to pick her up unless its an emergency when the vet dislocated her toe in an attempt to clip her nails. Needless to say i dred taking her to get her nails cut as we have half the vet team trying to hold her. Having said that I went on holiday the other week and Adele looked Jessica who was very well behaved then so who knows! xxx

my jessica thinks shes going to die every time she gets picked up. I tried over 2 years different techniques, praise, food everything you can think of. I made the decision not to pick her up unless its an emergency when the vet dislocated her toe in an attempt to clip her nails. Needless to say i dred taking her to get her nails cut as we have half the vet team trying to hold her. Having said that I went on holiday the other week and Adele looked Jessica who was very well behaved then so who knows! xxx

Snap, Inky is the same (hence cut claw at the vet)!

I usually let him go unless it is unsafe to do so, then I tend to crouch down with him so I can put him down slowly. I also always wear long sleeved and high necked tops if I need to pick them up, although Smokey is quite well behaved.

Back