• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

two brothers, could it work.........

Bonniebunny

Warren Scout
I visited my local rescue centre at the weekend and fell in love with two little nethie brothers, practically identical, but not currently neutered. I was told they were ready for neutering and that they were quite bonded. I've never gone for this combo before as always heard two brothers will eventually fight. Could this pairing work, seeing as they are still in together. I asked the lady to get them neutered for me, and I will meet the costs, having put some money to reserve them?? Be a shame to split them up and they were lovely, really pretty. Kinda got my heart set on them now, but don't want to end up with two separate buns??

xx

If they've been brought up together, then yes it can work. I have 2 successful pairings of males, and I remember somebody else on the forum having successful sibling pairings too.

Good Luck.

Carol xx

My first bunnies were 18month old brothers - so long as they are taken for neutering same day they should be fine, although it does take a couple of months for their male hormones to die down, and they may fall out during that time - anyone's guess whether that will happen.

I visited my local rescue centre at the weekend and fell in love with two little nethie brothers, practically identical, but not currently neutered. I was told they were ready for neutering and that they were quite bonded. I've never gone for this combo before as always heard two brothers will eventually fight. Could this pairing work, seeing as they are still in together. I asked the lady to get them neutered for me, and I will meet the costs, having put some money to reserve them?? Be a shame to split them up and they were lovely, really pretty. Kinda got my heart set on them now, but don't want to end up with two separate buns??

xx

I have 2 pairs of bonded Brothers

Leo and William who are about 5. They were both neutered at 3 months

Picture1094.jpg

Then there is Little Bill and John Boy. They are almost 4 months old and were neutered a couple of weeks ago.

Picture1173.jpg

Getting the Brothers neutered as soon as their plums drop means the old testosterone does not kick in too dramaticaly. As Elve says having them neutered on the same day is a good idea.
Before they are neutered if you have other Buns about try to house the boys so they cant see or smell the others. Problems can develop with 'refered aggression' where-by if the boys are in a hutch/run and they see other Buns hopping about they will want to get at them. Because they cant they may have a go at each other. This is more likely to happen at just about plum dropping time.

Janex

My boys Bertie and Binky are brothers who have been constantly together since they were born. They are VERY close, and have both now been neutered. They have never had a squabble, except in play.....and they have such a strong bond and love each other SO much that I can't imagine ever separating them, or them starting to fight.:love: :love:

Binky And Bertie

BertieandBinky9.jpg

ABinkyandBertie2.jpg

Well, thank you all for your experiences, it sounds very encouraging and reassuring to think this could work out well. The lady who has rescued will use her own vet to get them neutered which hopefully should be this week. I will then probably leave them for a while to recover and settle down, before bringing them back to their new abode. It is a new experience for me, as I currently have a female and male (both neutered) who adore each other. I hope the others eventually being in the same vacinity doesn't cause any upset in this relationship!! I've only ever had two buns at the same time. But my shed is very large and seems a shame not to let two more bunnies have the use of it.

Thanks again.
xx

PS: Jane, your bunnies are adorable!!

Back