• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi in Carmarthenshire

kath w

Warren Scout
Just read another thread on myxi. Thought i'd warn people that is a big outbreak of myxi in our area. When i took Charly down for his jab there was a lady in with her rabbit and she didn't come out with him poor thing had myxi and was put to sleep. The vet said he is putting down 3 or 4 rabbits a day (which i think is a little bit over exaggerated) he says people aren't bothering to jab because they are getting their rabbits for nothing so they just go and get another one. Do various vets charge different fees for myxi jabs? Mine charged £12.97 for myxi. What are prices like in other areas - just wondering.

I don't think caring rabbit owners would not jab because they got their rabbit for free. Although I don't know anyone who has got their rabbit for free as most are rescue cases. I did not have mine jabbed and it was nothing to do with not caring about them, far from it. And I am going to put them through the VHD jab in 3 weeks even though I have heard some horrific stories on here. Most of us make informed choices for what we believe to be the best for our rabbit. Do you spay??? You read the threads on young rabbits lost during the op. Then you don't spay and hear of cases where bunnies are spayed at 5 years old and the uterine cancer is found???? I just don't know. Sorry I have drifted a million miles from the topic. I am really going through it with all these things at the minute, you can tell they are on my mind! :roll: I pay £17.23 for Myxi jabs and the same for VHD.

I think what the vet was getting at was people who had rabbits for their children because they nagged etc not that they truly wanted a rabbit. A friend of mine was giving baby rabbits away free few months ago just to get rid of them and her daughter told me that the rabbit was having another litter and did i know of anyone who wanted one. I think maybe these people wouldn't bother having the jabs done. I am not suggesting for one moment that anyone on here or indeed anyone who truly cared about their rabbits wouldn't bother. There are quite a few people i can think of that leave their rabbits together and then moan how can they "get rid" of the consequences. I too will be taking Charly for his VHD the vet said three weeks from the myxi jab. I agree it is difficult to make the choices when you read all the horror stories but as far as i was concerned with the amount of myxi in our area there really was no choice. Indeed as i said there was one poor thing which was put to sleep when we were in the vet and he said that was the third that day!!!!!!!! Frightening thought.

Last edited:
I am dreading taking mine for theirs.... they get so stressed and I am really worried about the reactions.... but I will do it after losing the others to Myxi. I think I would rather risk it now. Its just the thought of them reacting to the jab that terrifies me.

Charly didn't have a reaction to the myxi except wee on my daughter on the way home. That was Monday and it is now Friday so i think we should be ok. Dreading the VHD though heard so may awful stories.

Back