• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pleae vote: which SPCA bunny should I go with?

Which rabbit should I pick at SPCA?

• 1) Monty

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • 2) Max (Blacky)

Votes: 9 40.9%

• Total voters

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
For the male, there is 2 choices:

88366.jpg

Choice 1: Monty

He's a 2 year old Holland Lop

weight: 1.91 KG as of June 26, 2007

He was a strayed bunny, and someone found him and picked him up and dropped him off to SPCA.

His personality seems slightly more affectionate than the other male bunny.

From his medical notes: Ivermectin SQ (For Heartworm Prevention). This rabbit is Bright, Alert and Responsive. Eyes, ears, and nares are clear. Front teeth occlude normally. No lumps palpated on the jaw. Feet and nails in good condition. Haircoat and body condition are good.

Abdominal palpation WNL (Within normal limit). Heart and lungs auscultation WNL (Within normal limit). confirmed male with 2 descended testicles. Rabbit is a little trembly when handled, but not too jumpy and is nice.

And from my personal observation: his eyes are bright and clear. Nose is slightly damp when I trace my finger on it. Coats is very healthy, smooth, no lump no his body, no dryness on ears, bottom looks clean

His personality is very good, gets along with the female bunny that I'm about to pick up. In fact, his penis 100% fully erect when he was fenced next to the female rabbit.:)

================

Choice 2: Max aka Blacky

89318.jpg

He's a 3 year old Mini Lop

weight: 2.23 KG as of July 26, 2007

From his medical notes: Physical Exam:

eyes--Nothing Abnormal Found,

Ears--AS -> 3x small lumps on medial side of pinna DXX (possibly): old scars after post trauma, papilomatosis or neoplasia, otherwise Nothing abnormal found

AD--couple old scars otherwise Nothing abnormal found

(don't know what AD or AS stands for)

mouth, heart, lungs -- Nothing abnormal found

abdominal paplation, uscle/joints, skin -- Nothing abnormal found

male goth testicles descended, Ivermectine 0.44 mg(0.04 ml) SQ

And from my personal observation: his eyes are bright and clear. Nose is just a little bit damp when I trace my finger on it. Coats is very healthy, smooth, no lump no his body, no dryness on ears, bottom looks clean

His personality is quite good, gets along with the same female bunny that I'm about to pick up.

====================

In summary:

Monty is 1 year younger, his personality seems a bit better, a bit easier to get along than Max, but he does tremble when anyone touches him, although he only tremble at the beginning of the time I spent with him.

It's the inital trembling of Monty that concerns me, I need to know if it is psychlogical or weak genes. Monty is abandoned in another small city, so obviously his previous owner is not nice to him, that could explain the trembling. When I rub my finger along his nose, there is a light trace of dampness, a bit more so than Max. Almost all the rabbits (about 2 dozens of them) at SPCA has a bit of dampness on their nose. The vet said it's normal as long as the dampness is not wetness.

Max is 1 year older than Monty, his personality is not as tame as Monty, in both side of the play area, Max was busy digging--in 1 side of the play area, he was digging the basket with hay and newspaper bit. In the other side of the play area, he is digging my slack of paper, kick my ballpoint pen away, scratch the towel mounted on the bunny chair. So I feel he is just a bit harder to get along with, although he also let me rub his head just like Monty. When I rub his head, there is not as much dampness on his nose compares to Monty.

The 2 rabbits looks virtually the same.

Last edited:
From your post you seem to prefer Monty other than the trembling.

As you say, this is no doubt due to being mistreated in the past, but I'm sure he will learn to trust you with time and lots of petting. If he is going to have a female friend then even better (although I take it she has been spayed since Monty obviously hasn't had the snip?

:lol: I have no idea which you should choose - just a vision of you inspecting these poor bunnies minutely, squishing abdomens, turning them upside down, looking in mouths - I think I'd tremble too :lol:

They are both cute, so I would toss a coin unless you feel a rapport with one over the other :)

From your post you seem to prefer Monty other than the trembling.

As you say, this is no doubt due to being mistreated in the past, but I'm sure he will learn to trust you with time and lots of petting. If he is going to have a female friend then even better (although I take it she has been spayed since Monty obviously hasn't had the snip?

No, the female is not fixed neither, that's why there is a metal gate fenced between these 2 at the SPCA. The truth is, when I was there last Fri., I was going to go with Max, eventhough he won't let me rub his head, he's just running around.

At the time, Monty is tembling when I touch him, so I thought he is a bunny with weak genes, and his nose has that damp trace whereas Max doesn't have the dampness on his nose.

But today, when I went down there, I notice Max also have the light dampness, so I am just concern whether the trembling is a genes related issue or mishandling of the previous owner. That's why I post this to get you people's input on trembling.

I think he's likely to just be a little nervous due to previous bad handling: my shy (but friendly) rescue boy Frankie trembles a little still when I go to pick him up, but he's a lovely rabbit.

I'd go with Monty. It sounds as though you had more of a connection with Monty and as he already seems to get on well with the female you've chosen, I'd go with him. Are the centre going to neuter / spay one or both of the rabbits, or will you have to organise this when you've adopted them? :)

All rabbits leaving the SPCA are fixed. Very cheap too, only $45 for the 1st, $40 for the 2nd. My last rabbit costs me $200

How old is your rabbit Frankie, and is there any health problem that is genes related?

Is this going to be a friend for Goofball Jason?

I could not possibly choose as they are both equally adorable sorry - cant you have both? :lol:

I'd be more inclined to take the one that is least likely to be offered a home (the older) one because I'd hate to think that he was going to stay there for a long time. There isn't much between them, I'd hate to go to a centre and choose a rabbit, I'd want to leave with them all.

Oh Gosh Jason, I can't vote :oops: , I feel mean voting for a bunny to stay in rescue, I wouldn't be able to choose my own bunnies, so I've no chance of helping someone else. Just go with your gut :D

I have voted, I voted Max because he was losing :oops: , see I'm not good with this sort of thing :lol:

I have voted, I voted Max because he was losing :oops: , see I'm not good with this sort of thing :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I voted Max, as I always go for the underdog (or the underbun!)

I voted for Max, just to makes the scores equal!;) I think you should follow your heart, forget the stats, they both seem healthy and would appreciate a good home. Good luck.

All rabbits leaving the SPCA are fixed. Very cheap too, only $45 for the 1st, $40 for the 2nd. My last rabbit costs me $200

How old is your rabbit Frankie, and is there any health problem that is genes related?

He's about 2 yrs old and had a full bill of health from the vet at his last check up :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I voted Max, as I always go for the underdog (or the underbun!)

me too! I'd always go for the older one as he's less likely to get picked by someone else but i do feel sorry for Monty now :(

Is this going to be a friend for Goofball Jason?

I could not possibly choose as they are both equally adorable sorry - cant you have both? :lol:

I can only pick one. Because when i was at SPCA, fenced w/ these 2, 1 on ea. side of the fence, they try to fight. Clearly 2 males doesn't get along in 1 room, eventhough it's a big room. Not to mention w/ the other female rabbit, it would be a 3 company thing, and the 2 male will fight more

I'd be more inclined to take the one that is least likely to be offered a home (the older) one because I'd hate to think that he was going to stay there for a long time. There isn't much between them, I'd hate to go to a centre and choose a rabbit, I'd want to leave with them all.

In this center, it's the one that stays here the longest, ends up PTS. Their age has no bearing in general.

This is why I picked this bunny as the female:

85701.jpg

because she stays there since April, and the volunteer over here was literally begging me to pick her, because her time is up, if the center ran out of space, she is the first one to go. And she has great personality, and the only other female I like is this little girl:

90118.jpg

which is yet another black color lop, so I figure if there are 2 lops, I can't tell which is which, so I might as well go w/ a different breed.

The volunteer also said that it is very sad after she get to know a bunny for 5 mth. (Hopper above), and then find out that she has to PTS due to lack of space. As such, Hopper is going home w/ me.

Anyhoo, going w/ your idea as to which one staying there for a long time, then I should pick Monty. Because as you can see from the browse button under adoption,

http://www.calgaryhumane.ca/

Monty was there since June 22, whereas Max was there in July 21, so if there is a new batch of bunnies, Monty would have to PTS before Max does, because Monty has been there for 1 month longer.

Oh Gosh Jason, I can't vote :oops: , I feel mean voting for a bunny to stay in rescue, I wouldn't be able to choose my own bunnies, so I've no chance of helping someone else. Just go with your gut :D

You are not really voting one to stay in the rescue, because by picking 2 from the rescue center, I free up 2 spaces (2 cages), so the others can stay there longer.

How awful that they pts I knwo theres only so much space but I bet it plays on your mind so much - are these buns going to live with Goofball Jason? The girlie dutch is gorgeous :D

Back