• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What is a dewlap?

I believe that its purpose is to provide somewhere for a mother bun to pluck fur from to line her nest - all she has to do is lean forward into the big roll of fur and pull some out. Most spayed does will not develop big dewlaps as they are presumably hormone related - some late spayed does or unspayed ones will develop huge dewlaps which can even get in the way of normal behaviour such as grooming, cleaning and eating caecatrophs :shock:

Sparkle has a large dewlap......

FlumpSparkle2.jpg

Spaying can help to reduce a overly large dewlap too sometimes.

Ok, so we all know dewlaps are a girl thing...so what about when boys have them too?! Is it because they are overweight or hormonal?
One of my males has a fairly impressive one, which confuses me no end! He isnt overly fat, maybe a bit plump and had 2 testicles removed at 6 months old. Is it possible he is a a he/she?! Even his wife doesnt have a dewlap:lol:

My 5 unspayed girls don't have big dewlaps, so maybe it's genetic? Maa is the mother of the others, and hers is just average - Of the 4 daughters, Primrose has a small dewlap but the others don't have one at all - although they all build nests in spring.

P1010373.jpg

Spaying can help to reduce a overly large dewlap too sometimes.

Ok, so we all know dewlaps are a girl thing...so what about when boys have them too?! Is it because they are overweight or hormonal?
One of my males has a fairly impressive one, which confuses me no end! He isnt overly fat, maybe a bit plump and had 2 testicles removed at 6 months old. Is it possible he is a a he/she?! Even his wife doesnt have a dewlap:lol:
One of my male bunnies has a dewlap and he is not overweight.I asked the vet about it two weeks ago when he had his VHD injection and the vet said he has seen many boys with them:D

oooh big boobied bunnies!:shock: :lol: i agree that there must be more to it than just sex/hormones. i have had some with massive dewlaps and some with none at all. all unspayed. dahlia & twinkle have the biggest here at the moment so i'll let you know if twinks is getting any smaller post- spay.:)

Biscuit is my big breasted bunny. :p
It's not the best photo, but I don't keep photos where she looks fat. She doesn't like them :lol:

854.jpg

Back