• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rowan's not "right" U/D she seems alot brighter - thanks!

Fairy13

Wise Old Thumper
Hi, just been doing bunny dinner and Rowan, the mum in our newly bonded 5, is not right.
She's normally mad for food - any shape or form! But this evening the other 4 were very excited at dinner and she was sat still.
I've given her belly a feel - she even let me do this too, definitely not normal! - and she feels maybe a bit swollen but not in a hard bloated kind of way.
I put a leaf of greens in front of her and at first she threw it but then had a little nibble. She's definitely sitting hunched up though.
I moved her into her litter tray where she had a wee and then hopped out again and had another nibble on greens but then hopped off.
I've just come in to write this and ask advice now.
Does it need vet tonight? Should I syringe feed her? What do you think?

Last edited:
oh I've just gone back to check and she was with the others eating some greens, I've popped some dried grass in too and she's nibbling that. But for her to let me feel her belly without jumping away from me is unusual. What d'ya reckon? :?

Keep a close eye on her and if she is not eating much or is still quiet then give her some Infacol - she could have a gassy tummy. Has she been eating much hay today? She could be gassy so the Infacol will help:D

oh I've just gone back to check and she was with the others eating some greens, I've popped some dried grass in too and she's nibbling that. But for her to let me feel her belly without jumping away from me is unusual. What d'ya reckon? :?

I reckon a trip to the vets sooner rather than later. My Miffy has had two bouts of GI stasis and the first time we left it a day because she looked a little strange but was still nibbling a few things here and there - we took her in on day 2 when she was eating nothing and not pooping. She took 5 days to recover and a £250 vet bill! The second time we recognised the signs on her 'off day' and took her in straight away. She only needed one shot of gut stimulant and meds / syringe feeding for 2 days, rather than 5.

AMETHYST

No no swelling round eyes or anything and she's not snuffly. I layed my head down beside her a while and no tooth grinding or anything.
I've been out to check again and she was still eating the dried grass with her daughter. I grabbed some apple tree leaves of of my rather bare apple trees! and popped some in. Typically they all dived on them but she was doing alot of the diving too. :D
Jaypot I'm not sure how much hay she's eaten today as now being 1 of 5 its difficult to tell. I was out at work til 4 but when I got home she was cuddled up with the others and they were all very sleepy though so not just her.
She was absolutely fine at breakfast.
I think I keep checking this eve and see how she goes. Any other suggestions or advice very welcome.
I think I'll need to go out and buy more infacol though as the bottle I have has been opened but not used for ages and I think it has a use by. .
Thank you x x x

I've just checked again and she's still munching looking happier. Maybe it was gas, I did give her belly a good feel and a rub. :? Maybe that got it shifted.
I'll keep a close eye and if she's not frantic for her pellets (as usual!) in the morning then of to the vets with her!

Is she in moult? Or has she been grooming any other Bun in moult?

She may have ingested a lot of fur. Greens/Hay/Dandelion Leaves and lots of water will help keep her guts moving to shift any fur through.

I'd keep an eye on her poo. If it looks srung together or very small that's a sign of reduced GI motility and ingestion of a lot of fur.

Janex

Hmmm no. And I wouldn't say the others she's with are particularly, but maybe there has been alot more grooming going on this past weekend cos of the bonding.
I am a dedicated poo watcher Jane so I will keep a very close eye on them. And I did add more greens in when I saw she had started to eat. :D Hopefully she'll be ok.
Thank you x

Back