• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Accidental Litters

Sue&Sooty

Wise Old Thumper
Just out of interest, how many people here have had unplanned, accidental litters of kits? Also what did you do with the kits, rehomed, given to a rescue or kept?

As most of you know I had an accidental litter which resulted in beautiful Blue and mischevious Sweep, both of whom I kept and who now live with their maum and dad. I was very new to rabbit keeping back then and did my best to keep them apart till Sooty was deplumbed but things didn't go to plan:?

Crystal had an accidental litter 18 months ago i was pretty much new to rabbits had no idea about anything and i ended up giving the babies to the first people who came along :? i kept 2 of the babies Flopsy and Cookie but when i was nearly left homeless Feb this year i had to rehome some of my rabbits Cookie being one of them and my dear Flopsy died after taking a fit in March :cry:

I had 19 kits from accidental litters :shock:
A post castration Buck inpregnated 3 Does.........:shock:

I kept all 19 babies

Janex

Ah so at least I'm not the only one then :oops: I learnt so much about rabbits and their ways as a result of Holly's babies

When I got my first two bunnies (almost 30 years ago), I was told they were 2 boys, but they were not. The female had 10 babies, but she ignored them all and they died. :cry: Luckily we had separated them as soon as we noticed the first humping, so she did not have a second litter.

i did when i had bunnies as a kid, i thought she was going to kill me, i gave 2 to very good homes and i kept one:D

In my young and innocent days i took on a bunny from a person at work and was told it was a girl - guess what??

I ended up with 4 babies and kept them all as I couldn't bear to let any of them go. :lol:

We had a litter of guinea pigs when I was little- unbelievably both girls had got pregnant in the pet shop, and we didn't know until one gave birth to still born babies one night :cry: They were only very young themselves. The other had 3 babies and we kept them all.

well my first litter with mine was intended (i didnt know much about rescues etc then), anyway i decided that was my first and only. couldnt regret it bcus i have my little domino, but i didnt want to do it again.

four months after the babies have all gone, peanut DIGS his way out and jumps into jellys run, i had the lid of the run for like 5 minutes, and went up the top of th egarden to get some woodshavings...when i came back it was too late.

those babies are now in the rabbits in need section.

I have..and I've never owned a male bun. :shock: :lol:

Neighbours have a buck, they let it run free, got to my Berri (who is now at the Bridge :cry: :cry: :cry: ). She had a litter of 6, two still borns :cry: one died after two days :cry: :cry: the other three survived, gave one to my neighbours who own the buck (don't worry, he doesn't run free anymore :) ) and kept two, my Pebble and Ebony. :D I'd never have got another rabbit otherwise, (mum wouldn't have allowed me) so it was great, the three of them (Berri Ebony Pebble) lived together for the rest of Berri's life, and she was very very happy. :D And I looooovvvvveeee Pebble and Ebby to bits! :love:

About 9 years ago I had 2 young bunnies given to me by a dodgy breeder. I was assured they were the same sex, but guess what...they weren't.

Luckily only one baby was born (a girl), and I kept her in a trio with Mum and Dad (after neutering). :D

Amy

Back