• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxi jab price today

catswhiskas

Warren Veteran
Had the buns vaccinated today. Price has gone up from £11 to £17.23 since Myxi scare???? You would think vets would want to encourage people to vaccinate rather than put the prices up to cash in. VHD will be the same.

You can't put a price on the buns, it not that its just the fact that they have put it up, because they can cash in.

I don't know i my vets have put it up. She didn't even seem to know that there was a myxi scare, but she was new. Still I'd pay it because I was scared of it :p

Since January my vets have put their prices up from 11pounds to 16.10 same for VHD, not alot we can do i suppose as the injections need to be done.:wave:

my two had VHD today and were £11 each, which is cheaper than where i took my previous rabbit. glad there is a choice of vets as didnt want to go to the one that Steve died in

They all sound like bargains to me... it's about £25 where I am, due for a booster soon, so I'll be keeping my fingers cross that it hasn't gone up since!

Its not that I think £17 is that bad.... its just where do they get off putting it up to cash in on the Myxi crisis.... it so annoys me.

i think catswhiskers is upset to be fair guys for the same reason as i am..we just lost our rabbits to that horrible disease only last week :cry:

Do all vets charge the same for boosters as the initial vaccination? Is it the same strength as the first vaccination?

maybe its the manufacturer putting the price of the drug up?

I thought that but then some people are still only being charged £11. Just goes to show how much vets add on doesn't it.:roll: No wonder they have all got posh cars lol! I suppose though they do do all that training it is just a shame they don't spend more than a few days on bunnies. :roll:

The manufacturer hasn't put the price up, its the individual vet/company. It msy just be coincidence that they have had a proce increase as the outbreaks occured. Some vets put proces up slowly every few months and some just make a huge jump once/twice a year!

My surgery charges £23 for Myxi and VHD vacc inclusive.

Its £16 if only a myxi or VHD is given, its an incentive to get both done ;)

The boosters are the same as the initial vacc in buns :D

In the same small town, one vets charges near on £20 for jabs, the one i went to today charges £11.50.

My previous vet used to charge around £11 for a myxi, one day a couple of years ago he said to me that they had to put the prices up as upon doing a standard review they discovered they'd been doing them at a loss for the past few years! So don't take it as read that those charging £11 are even covering their costs!

Personally I don't object to paying £20 for a myxi vaccine - after all say the vaccine does cost a tenner, I'm still taking up a consultation slot and getting a general health check for my buns. I don't think that is being ripped off or cashing in on outbreaks. I think it's just a fact that veterinary care is not cheap, vets have a lot of overheads and costs and its unrealistic to expect them to give us everything at cost price otherwise they'd go bankrupt.

Back