• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ponds and rabbits

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
I was clearing my garden earlier this year and found an old pond (liner had burst, so there was no water in it). I rather like the idea of a wildlife pond, so was thinking of replacing it.

What are the implications for the bunnies? Would I be increasing their chances of getting myxi by providing a breeding habitat for mozzies and suchlike?? :?:

Amy

What are the implications for the bunnies? Would I be increasing their chances of getting myxi by providing a breeding habitat for mozzies and suchlike?? :?:

Amy

This could potentially increase the risk of mozziees, however there are 2 things you can do to prevent this .... fish and a pump to keep the water moving. Mozzies like stagnant water.

This could potentially increase the risk of mozziees, however there are 2 things you can do to prevent this .... fish and a pump to keep the water moving. Mozzies like stagnant water.

I was hoping for a wildlife pond (so no fish) :(

Never mind, I'll have to replace the pond with another feature. Perhaps a seating area or a sculpture type thing (giant rabbit perhaps? :lol: )

Amy

Have a wildlife pond with a water fall or fountain = moving water. Frogs will eat any mossies in the water whcih should be few if the water moves occassinally.

Yep, just make it so the water moves. Small fish shouldn't effect the wildlife.

We've got a big pond and this morning we've had blue ****, blackbird, a gold finch?, and a robin bathing in it. We get a healthy crop or frogs and toads every year and very occasionally spot a newt too. You need to make sure you have a slopped area for hedgehogs, if it's got steep sides they fall in when drinking and down :(

Tam

I have a few fish, lots of newts, frogs and toads. Although if the fish are not fed each day they will eat any spawn which is about.

Yeah make the sides gradually sloping ones rather than steep, otherwise you might get wildlife falling in (not to mention bunnies). :shock: Other than that, FAB idea, go for it!

AMETHYST

We created a new pond this year and were a bit worried about mosquitoes, but we have not seen an increase in them at all. Our pond is not moving, but we had lots of tadpoles (from the neighbour's mini ponds) and newts (from Janice's pond) and up to 10 adult frogs and toads. We added some fish after a few months, too. We get damselflies and dragonflies, they are very pretty. I bought some ramshorn snails and lost a few of them to magpies, but they still managed to multiply quite a lot.
For next spring we may have to divide the pond and make a safe corner for any frog and toad spawn. We have lots of plants with hiding spaces in and around the pond.

Back