• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spayed too late??

bunnyhaven

Young Bun
I had Fiver neutered last Wednesday all went well

I spoken to Vet nurse about how old the doe need to be for spayed.. she said 6 months.. I was thinking, is that rather late?
what the earliest age for doe to be spayed? need to remind me as it been years ago since i had doe spayed (8 years ago!!)

(How long before Fiver's hormone will settle as i never had male bunny before, it always female with me last 14 years!!)

Some experienced vets will neuter females when they reach 1 kg in weight, others suggest anything between 4 - 6 months. A lot depends on the vets experience / personal preference.

Is it really a "too late"-date for spaying? I had mine spayed when she was nearly 2 years old (I can't imagine why I didn't try earlier... never regretted it since.)

My three rabbits were all rescued as adults. I had the first two spayed at approx 2-3 years, and the other at 2.5 years. I think it's best earlier but as long as the rabbit is in good health, my vet says it's never too late.

When I spoke to the PDSA about getting my lot done they recommended that for a buck the earliest was 4mths and for a doe the earliest was 6mths. I don't think there is a 'latest' time to get a doe done.. well not until they get to a much older age

Some people recommend 9 months for a doe, as hormones are involved in bone production (which is why we get liable to osteoporosis after the menopause)

Some people recommend 9 months for a doe, as hormones are involved in bone production (which is why we get liable to osteoporosis after the menopause)

This has never been proven actually and is now concidered as not te be true.
There are some arguments for waiting a bit. Apparently how older a rabbit gets, the more bodyfat it has. For a female, this means the uterus is more easily removed when there is more bodyfat, so the operation is "easier" for the vet.

For a female, this means the uterus is more easily removed when there is more bodyfat, so the operation is "easier" for the vet.

Our vet will not neuter a female who is overweight unless their are clear cut reasons why she should until they have los tweight. From her own experience overweight rabbits require more anaesthetic and take a lot longer to wake up and recover after an anaesthetic than normal weight or skinny rabbits.

I was offcourse not refering to overweigh rabbits :shock: What you said is true offcourse and sadly lots of rabbits are overweight...
What I meant was, very young rabbits are apparently all muscle,(don't know how else to say this in english:oops: ) adult rabbits develop more bodyfat in the aging process and therefore the organs have more space or "fat" between them??

It is easier to spey a young rabbit as they tend not to have such a deep layer of fat around their tummies (or a dew lap and shouldnt get one if speyed early).

Vets find it very hard to spey 'tubby' females as no two rabbits have arteries running in the same place around the uterine area and digging through the fat to find them causes extra damage by way of bruising to the rabbit and a longer recovery time due to surgery being more invasive.

This is why I always diet overweight females before attempting to have them speyed.

I've had females spayed at 4months as emergency spays, but I'd choose to wait until they were a bit older. I don't believe too late is a phase I'd use for a 6month old rabbit - the last rabbit I took in for her spay was 7years old.

Back