• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding help anyone?!?

*Bex*

Mama Doe
I have 2 buns flopsy is 5 months and rory is around 2 years. I have had flopsy since 8 weeks and was spayed at 3 1/2 months and had rory about 2 months and he was neutered just after i got him.
I introduced them about 3/4 weeks ago and they got on ok well no fighting but he was pretty hormonal then still.
They have been meeting every day since then and his hormones have definatly died down. For about a week everything was fine he was not trying to mount her at all.
For the past week, every day he's been spending time in her hutch as thats where they will live but in there all he does is mount her, whenever she lies down/eats/drinks he's trying to mount her.
They have never had a fight and im sure they like each other and i've seen them lay together and him groom her but im too scared to leave them overnight as i dont know if he could hurt her if he keeps mounting her? Or if she will get upset with him or scared?
I really want this to work and i would have thought his hormones would have gone by now after 9/10 weeks of his op?
Sorry about the long post i hope someone can help im open to any suggestions!!

Are you saying he goes into HER hutch while she is there?

Thats a really bad idea as Does are super territorial and will fight over their territory. Even breeders always take the Doe to the Bucks hutch.

It is better to bond on neutral territory, as then neither will feel as if they need to defend 'their' space. The mounting is due to dominance. My boy was neutered 8/9 weeks before I bonded him with his girlfriend (also spayed). He mounted her a lot for about 4 or 5 days (which did cause some scuffles) and this died down over a few more days. After about a week he no longer did it. He also started spraying the neutral area for about 2 or 3 days. They need to be able to sort out who is the leader, but it is best to monitor them constantly while bonding, at least for a few days and definately overnight, as this is when they are most active and therefore most likely to fight.
ETA: them grooming one another already is a positive step :)

They have been meeting on neutral territory for a few weeks...she isn't territorial over her hutch at all she does not mind him being there he's visited a few times and she is fine with it she doesnt mind me going in etc she never has seemed territorial.
My girl bunny has never showed any signs of wanting to do anything other than be friends whether they are in her hutch or not she hops over to him and nudges his head and lays next to him its just he always mounts her what ever she does!
She has never fighted with him when he mounts her she just runs away

Back