• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it too late....

bunbuns

Warren Veteran
.....to littler train my two buns?

They are 3 years old, they tend to do their toilet in one corner of the hutch which i scoop out every day. If i put a litter tray there do you think they would use it?

They could well do :D Sophie has been trained from a baby and she did what yours are doing. Rudy uses his when he feels like it, but does tend to do most of his wees in his tray :D

Give it a go, nothing to lose :D

I would put a tray in the corner and see what happens, usually this will work. The majority of my buns will train themselves!

I'll give it a go! They are getting a new Happy Hutch soon so i thought it would make it easier to keep clean. :)

Good Luck! You could always put some hay in the tray as well, they will more than likey munch and poo at the same time! Unless they are like Sophie - she hates anything in her tray and just has the woodbased pellets! :lol:

Thanks for the advice :D

I'll let you all know how we get on. Hopefully they wont just change corners!!

Put a little bowl of food in the other corners to discourage them. Buns don't like to wee on their food. Worth a try. It's worked with Pansy and Sapphire.:)

Thanks for that Capel!

I knew it was worth asking for some advice! :D

The reason i asked was because i remember reading somewhere that buns had to be litter-trained from babies. Obviously this isnt true!

That's what I did with Dolly, and I don't know how old she was when I got her, but she wasn't a baby!

Good luck... certainly worth a try, makes cleaning them out so much easier!

My bunny Maa took to litter trays straight away, aged about one, as I used big boxes they need to jump into for hay - But then she decided a few months ago (after over a year of being clean) to keep her big litter tray nice and clean for a bed, and wee on the floor :roll: I tried moving the tray around but the only thing that's worked is filling the hutch with trays :shock: I've got a big underbed storage box with all her hay in for a toilet - but where she used to insist on going to the loo on the floor, I managed to fit in a smaller cat litter tray, and wedged it in with a brick or she'd just chuck it about. She now has decided a tiny, bare plastic tray makes a fabulous bed, and is using her big box as a litter tray once more :p So I got there in the end, but it was a challenge :?

I found litter training amazingly easy. I just put litter trays in place with a few poos and they picked it up really quickly. Charlotte was 2 yrs whe i got her in May and Ben was a stray rescue bun so no idea how old he is :roll:

So quick and easy to clean out and much healthier. I put hay in litter boxes too.

Well, litter tray is in place so i'll have to wait and see what happens.

Ive got a funny feeling they may trash it :roll:

I trained Charm at 3 years and he picked it up pretty fast. I think if you make the litter tray nice and put it in the place they poop anyway they'll continue to poop there. I made the litter tray nice but didn't put it where he pooped so I only got half of his poops, since I changed it to where he was pooping anyway 100% of his poops go in there...well appart from when his bum overhangs the side because he's sat funny...

Well......they have dragged the litter tray out of the way and gone to the loo in their normal corner!! :roll:

Any ideas?????

Well......they have dragged the litter tray out of the way and gone to the loo in their normal corner!! :roll:

Any ideas?????

Well I have bricks around my trays but mine are on concrete - I think it would be dangerous in a hutch really as the floor might break, so how about cramming trays in - they come in various sizes? Or use a really big storage box - mine are from wilkos.

P1010149.jpg

Any ideas?????

Have you tried putting their poops and some urine soaked whatever in the litter tray?

Alternatively you could just leave it to one side, not begin the litter training process yet but try and get them to like the tray, if they don't like it they won't use it.

Back