• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help me! I thought I was doing the right thing!

BunnyBekkie

Warren Veteran
On Tuesday we adopted Bobby and he was hopefully going to be a friend for Nibbles who I'd noticed hadn't been herself for a while and I thought a friend might perk her up. They got along fine in the house and in the carrier. Anyways, on Thursday at the vets, I asked the vet about a problem with Nibbles's fur on her back that had been there for a few weeks, but wasn't serious, it was shorter than the rest and I thought it was going to be a skin complaint or something, but turns out, it's a psychological problem, and she's been grooming herself too much on her back because she's a nervous rabbit. I thought that if Nibbles & Bobby did become friends then it would make her feel safer and not as nervous. Anyways, bonding day arrived and naturally, the bunnys were squabbling and it scared me too much and I got upset (I'm suffering from depression) so we had to stop for me. I remembered that Angie from BARC said she would give it a go if we couldnt so I gave her a ring, and she said she's going to ring her sister to see if she can have a go for me. I was so happy and I told my mum and dad, who just yelled at me and said that it's not working with them and that I should just give Bobby up and that I can't even look after Biscuit and Nibbles. That hurt so much. My bunnies mean the world to me and they help me cope with things. I always think that Nibbles is feeling down and just needs somebunny to make her feel better, which she's even proved to me in the hallway with Bobby!

My mum and dad don't listen to a thing I have to say and have forced me to say no to Tracey trying the bonding. I know it'll work, I really do, but my parents refuse to believe that. They don't know a damn thing about bunnies!! Yea sure Nibbles will be even more nervous in Barnsley away from home, but it'll hopefully only be for a couple of days, then she'll have a lifetime of happiness, but they won't listen! They don't want the responsibity of another rabbit. They don't have anything to do with them anyways!!!!! They're mine and they're my priority. My bunnies come first.

Please help me, I'm in such a state

Awwww, don't beat yourself up. Can you try to bond them yourself again, it does take time in some cases but it is worth it in the end. I had a bonding problem last year (they are great together now) and people said I should have taken her back to the RSPCA but my reply was that they are not a piece of clothing you can just take back.

Have another go again at bonding them. My last one did take quite some time but it is worth it now to see them snuggled up.

I'm not mentally strong enough to watch them scuffle. I can't do it coz I'll just get upset. I'd rather someone who knows what they're doing has a go at it for me while I'm trying to get better. I feel so lazy and horrible for saying that :cry:

I would take any offers of help with bonding you can get.

Some people are happy to bond, others like you are a little more hesitant, there is nothing wrong being hesitant. It is not because you are lazy and horrid, it is because you have not had a lot of experience in this area. We all have different experiences in life, some you can do better than others. To make this world we all need to be different.

VERY well said, Janice!!!!!:D

Bekkie, I really hope it works out with your bunnies.....keep us posted!!!:D :D

Back