• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi in Hampshire

Hi Guys, had agility this morning, and near the field i thought I saw a bun with myxi, with the lumps on its face, but its eyes were clear. Have spoken to sue and she fears one of the buns she has may have myxi too, and apparently had to help put 20 to sleep at Netley Country Park last week as they have had a myxi outbreak there.
My seven and 2 fosters are not vaccinated, as I don't like putting chemicals into animals bodies unless absolutely necessary. I can't really afford 9 vaccines but will if i have to (will ring vets tomorrow to check price). However should I vaccinate?
I guess Netley is about 10 miles away, my buns don't ever go outside their run and shed and I don't really have a fly problem. Plus there is the added argument that the vaccine doesn't have 100% guarantee. So do I spend out and hope its enough? or spend out and then lose them all anyway? Advice only please, I really don't need to be told I am a bad mum for not vaccinating, if you think that, keep it to yourself please.
Jess

I would vaccinate.

If they aren't vaccinated any myxi gets closer, all the buns are likely to die if they catch it. If they're vaccinated, while they will still catch it, it will be a weaker strain (nodular myxi) and they can recover from that.

Your vet might do a discount for so many buns, perhaps you could even be cheeky & ask for one...I would!!

I completely agree with foxyfaerie. No vaccine is 100% but the chances of your buns catching it unvaccinated are way, way higher as their body won't have any immunity to it at all. I would also add that a vaccinated bun doesn't necessarily develop any form of myxi if they are bitten - who knows how many of our vaccinated buns have been exposed but it not developed at all because of the vaccine? The vaccine wouldn't exist if it doesn't work, there are years of trials on these things.

I also agree with your sentiment
I don't like putting chemicals into animals bodies unless absolutely necessary

I don't use rearguard or any of those flystrike products etc, but I do consider the myxi vaccine to be absolutely necessary. They have NO protection against myxi without it and it only takes one gnat, mosquito or flea - a huge risk in my opinion! I'm sure you've been bitten by a gnat inside your house before, so the fact that they stay in a shed is no guarantee at all - and you know there is myxi in the area. To be honest without the vaccine with the scale of the local problems you've described, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't all contract it before long :cry:

Last edited:
I'd vaccinate too. I think its probably worth giving your vet a call and seeing if they'll do a discount because of the number of buns. My vets do. x x x

Thanks guys, also thanks for not being judgemental. I have spoken to sue too, and she will pay for the fosters to be done. her vets do it at £14.22 each (that includes a 10% discount) so will ring my vets and see if they will price match. they should do - with 19 animals I give them enough business! I guess if i get it done it at least reduces the risk, just gonna cost a lot. :?

Thanks guys, also thanks for not being judgemental. I have spoken to sue too, and she will pay for the fosters to be done. her vets do it at £14.22 each (that includes a 10% discount) so will ring my vets and see if they will price match. they should do - with 19 animals I give them enough business! I guess if i get it done it at least reduces the risk, just gonna cost a lot. :?

You definitely ought to get a discount! lol

I'm going to take Minty in this week for his, we're in Hampshire too, about 20 miles from Southampton area but that's near enough. I was going to get him done when he had his bits off but now I'm not sure if I'm gonna get that done after all, so I'd better get him in just for his myxi jab. At least I've only got the one, so I'm not grumbling! Good on you for getting your buns done. x

You definitely ought to get a discount! lol

I'm going to take Minty in this week for his, we're in Hampshire too, about 20 miles from Southampton area but that's near enough. I was going to get him done when he had his bits off but now I'm not sure if I'm gonna get that done after all, so I'd better get him in just for his myxi jab. At least I've only got the one, so I'm not grumbling! Good on you for getting your buns done. x

Where abouts are you??

Thanks for the warning Jess, need to get down and see Sue really, my lot are potentially boarding with her again in October :?

Myxi

Hi, It's Sue from Southampton Rabbit Rescue. We believe our Fudge has Myxi as he is showing signs:cry: :shock: We had them all vaccintaed 3 weeks ago so i'm surprised. Bless him he's fighting it though and is resting. We had 2 buns we couldn't vaccinate as they had chest infections and i''ve now booked them in for 9am tomorrow morning. Been out again this morning to PTS some bunnies with myxi in the Netley Country park. It's horrible to see and so very upsetting. Camr home in tears. Bunny hugs to all Sue xx

PM'd you Buttons.... my remaining 3 are in this afternoon for theirs. Had 2 PTS on thursday cos of this wretched disease. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Vibes to Fudge, Sue, glad to hear he's fighting it off,
Bertie loved the Science Selective, will have to get it now!
keep us updated x

This is all very worrying as I am not far from Southampton either but can't afford to get mine vaccinated at the moment as I am off sick from work. Are there any precautions I can take to minimise the risk? I have 3 buns at the moment, 4 if you count my poor baby who has gone missing, and they are in two separate hutches but share a run. What are the first signs to look for with Myxi?

I'm sorry that you haven't found Tinkerbell yet :cry:
You'll find some useful info on Myxi here
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/vaccination.asp

If you can't afford the vacinations, can they be brought in, or can you afford to cover their runs and hutches with flyscreen?
There's a few things you can do, but mine's indoors, so I don't know what's best for outdoors, I'm sure someone will help you more.
I hope Tinkerbell shows up soon x

Hi just a quick update; sue has very kindly asked her vets to vaccinate mine as well as the foster buns, my vets said £20 per rabbit - with discount - hers said £14.22 with discount so its saving me a fair bit. I am so paranoid though, have been checking their faces every morning. just glad the appt is tomorrow am.
And again, thank you to everyone for not judging me but just offering advice. Latest on Fudge, he is still eating and fighting it, although Sue fears his pasteurella may be rife as fighting the myxi has drained all his resources. I will update again when I know more. Not seen any more buns either despite being up the field again this week.
Jess

hi Jess,
Thanks for the update on Fudge, & glad you saved some £ as well.
I hope everything goes well in the morning, at least you can relax a bit then 8)

OMG can't believe this disease :( Lionel is going to have his first one next Saturday, i live in outer London does anyone know what the disease is like round here? Its going to cost me £22 here

Hi, really sorry to be the bearer of bad news

I was lead to believe it takes 3 weeks after vacination before immunity is achieved.

I don't know how valid this is, but I'm sure I heard it from a vet. He was on the radio talking about the rise in mxyi cases this year, cos of the wet weather. He was advising people on vaccinations.

My vet told me also that it takes 2 to 3 weeks for Charly to be immune. Counting the days down. Charly was immunised on Monday. This disgusting disease is awful in this area too.

Back