• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Longest Living Rabbit...

lisa0307

Alpha Buck
Both our rabbits lived until 8 and 9 years of age...just wondered what ages yours got to and if anyone knows what the age of the longest living rabbit was...thanks:)

My eldest rabbit is now coming up for being 10!...

I bumped into an school friend several years ago whilst i was working in a pet shop, and she was buying bits for her rabbits, i remember here having them since she was atleast 11 (they werent babies when we started being friends!)....I worked out the youngest her's could have been at that time would have been 7!.

I had one live to 8 and a half and only passed as he had an abscess that we fought and fought until he lost the battle. I had another bun on from a rescue aged 10. I had 9 weeks with her, until she eventually just passed from old age, however she had done so well.

I had two mini lops who lived to 14 years. It was a long time to have them and I was distraught when I lost them, especially Jake who decided to go on Valentines day off all days! :( Jake got kidney failure due to old age and ChocChip his brother pined for him and died 6 weeks later from a broken heart (despite me getting him a gf - Inca). :cry:

Last edited:
18 years old.... god he looks amazing. When I first got Bugsy he was 6 and had already started to get old looking eyes and white fur..... but this cheeky chap looks amazing and it doesn't appear to be hereditary as he has outlived his off spring.

Should maybe add: the oldest rabbit I knew was 10 years old. But somehow I get the impression english bunnies live longer than norwegians... Average age for norwegian bunnies apparently is 6-8 years...though it's pulled down a little due to the most common death in norwegian bunnies: malnourishment (not helped by AWFUL rabbit food being sold all around pet stores and in grocery stores)

I adopted Ruffles, a grey mini-lop buck, from Bobtails when he was 11 and he lived happily for another 2.5 years. He passed away in his sleep at the age of 13 and a half.

Bunny, an orange Nethie-X was a neighbours Bun. She came here at the age of 10 after having an emergency spay for a Pyometra. She lived to be almost 13 and also had 2 Cystostomies ( removal of bladder stones) whilst here :shock:

Bunny spent her first 10 years having NO hay, but living on white bread, cabbage and rubbish cereal mix :roll: .............

Bunny had PERFECT teeth..........:shock: :? :? :roll:

A few months ago I adopted 10 year old Grandpa Gregory from Bobtails. He is still with us:D

Janex

My English, Fluff, had to be PTS at 12 because of a tumour :cry: Maybe with today's vet knowledge he could have lived a bit longer.

Just found this old thread. I got an adult rabbit in '91. I was told he was about a year old and he never grew anymore so I'd say that was about right. He was quite big at about 5-7lbs and he was put to sleep early 2007. A grand old age of 17!!! At the very least, he may have been older when we got him! No idea what breed he was-he looked like a wild rabbit, same colouring exactly . The people we got him off did actually hunt rabbits:shock: and I often wondered whether they had brought him home as a baby, he was wild as heck when I got him! I got some good bites and scratches for the first few weeks and the noises he made:shock: to this day I've never heard a rabbit make such noises! But he became the best bunny in the world-litter trained,walked on the harness,super friendly. He used to sleep in bed with me some nights and never bit again after his shaky start! I miss that old bun:( We spent many days at the vets towards the end but on the vets advice we let him go:( R.I.P. Smokey!

Last edited:
My oldest was nearly 12 when he had to have him PTS. He was not neutered, or vaccinated, he was on an awful diet and yet he still lived for so long (this was a good few years ago, before I knew things, and also when the knowledge was different).

I know someone on another forum who has a 16 year old guy still going strong.

It's so nice to hear of long living bunnies :D

I just realised this was a really old thread rebumped up. Sorry.

Our rabbit Rodney lived until he was exactly 10 years old. He was the runt of the litter. Our local newpaper did a feature on him in the readers pet section when he was 10 and it is a beautiful picture of me and him together. He helped so many other rabbits, because he showed us what a wonderful pet they are. We have since rehomed numerous rabbits from the RSPCA and other rescues. R I P Rodney Hampton.

My eldest is 6ish, i just wish he lives to live as long as some of the buns on this thread, I love him dearly :cry:

my two are 3 in june so still young yet!

i had a bun called patch but he only lived to age 4. :cry:

then smudge was so young when he passed at around 8 weeks old. :cry:

my uncles rabbit passed last year just a few days before his 14th birthday. he was called toggy!

Back