• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Coccidiosis Questions...

Jenk

Young Bun
Hello, Everyone.

I am brand new here (and have been a bun parent for just one month). My husband had two bunnies as a child and is thrilled to share his life with two of them again.

Zoe and Emma (our Mini Rex girls) were taken to the vet within their first week home. The vet noticed swelling in Zoe's tummy and tested her for Coccidia. The result was positive, and both girls were put on Albon for two weeks.

Zoe's appetite and thirst has remained strong, and she's acting like a normally bunny, as far as we can tell. I'm concerned, though, because her tummy is still a little more poufy than Emma's, even though she's now completely done with the medication.

Is it normal (or at least possible) for a rabbit's stomach region to remain somewhat enlarged after treatment for Coccidia? Is it "bad"/abnormal to still have some enlargement, or does it actually take more time for it to decrease?

I just don't know if I'm overly worrying at this time, or not.

I would appreciate any advice that you can provide me.

Jenk

To Clarify...

Zoe's retest for Coccidia (after two weeks on Albon) was negative. I told the vet that her tummy still felt a little bloated; he agreed and said to keep both Zoe and Emma on Albon for one more week (three weeks total).

So at this point, both buns have taken Albon for three weeks, and Zoe's tummy still feels somewhat pooched (compared to Emma's); as I've mentioned, her appetite and activity levels seem completely normal.

Also, Emma's rex coat is thicker than Zoe's. Is it possible that Coccidia can (for a time) thin a bun's coat? Or is it more likely that not all rexes have the same feel to their coat, and Zoe just got a less-lush one?

Thanks,

Jenk

When you say she tested positive for coccidia did your vet confirm how heavily infected she was? Its just that we have recently had many problems with coccidia but were told that most healthy rabbits do have a small amount of the protozoa present, but a healthy adult (over 16 weeks) immune system can cope with it....and indeed should as regular 'blanket' treatment rabbits, such as in a breeders or a rescue actually damages natural immunity and leaves bunnies more at risk.

Has she had any tests to determine which strain of Coccidia it was? The hepatic variety can cause enlargement of the liver and kidneys, causing the stomach to swell.

...Did your vet confirm how heavily infected she was? Its just that we have recently had many problems with coccidia but were told that most healthy rabbits do have a small amount of the protozoa present, but a healthy adult (over 16 weeks) immune system can cope with it....

I don't recall if he mentioned her level of infection; I plan to call him tomorrow with more questions, though, and will add that one to the list. I know that most rabbits have the parasite but that stress can overwhelm a young one's immature immune system and make him/her prone to problems from it. (At this time, Zoe is 8-weeks-old; we brought her home at four weeks' of age, which I now know was younger than she should've been.)

Has she had any tests to determine which strain of Coccidia it was? The hepatic variety can cause enlargement of the liver and kidneys, causing the stomach to swell.

The vet told me the strain, but I can't recall it (adding it to my question list). He said during her second visit that her abdominal region and liver still felt slightly bloated yet; that's when he recommended one extra week on Albon.

Our pets' vet specializes in exotics and is well-versed in the care of rabbits. He even treats the strays of our local House Rabbit Society. He doesn't seem overly concerned about the issue, saying he's watched many a young bun bounce back from Coccidia after treatment with Albon.

I, however, am overly concerned--especially after the heartbreak of losing a six-month-old kitten to FIP four years ago. I'm just very weary of the thought of losing another fur baby.

Back