• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Feel sick, bunnies are recovering from Myxi and mine were PTS?

catswhiskas

Warren Veteran
When Littlebun and Maisie were taken into vets on Thursday night, I was told that buns very very rarely recover and that putting them through the treatment is not fair on the bun and that I should let them go. Littlebun was poorly but Maisie only had the swollen genitals??? She said that within hours Maisie would be in alot of pain. I am now reading about people nursing their Myxi buns? Have I put down rabbits with a chance of survival?

When Littlebun and Maisie were taken into vets on Thursday night, I was told that buns very very rarely recover and that putting them through the treatment is not fair on the bun and that I should let them go. Littlebun was poorly but Maisie only had the swollen genitals??? She said that within hours Maisie would be in alot of pain. I am now reading about people nursing their Myxi buns? Have I put down rabbits with a chance of survival?

Personally I would not attempt to nurse an unvaccinated Bun through Myxi as it is very rarely successful. I think the Buns you may have read about on here that contracted Myxi were vaccinated, hence some 'only' got Nodular Myxi.
It is often secondary bacterial infection that proves fatal. Some may even *appear* to recover from the infection only to succumb to renal failure many weeks later :cry: :cry:

Janex

I totally agree - I'm no expert whatsoever, but I've not heard of any unvaccinated bunnies making it. What you've done is spare your bunnies a lot of suffering, and you have to believe that. x

Not sure which rabbits you're reading about but it tends to be nodular that rabbits recover from. Unvaccinated rabbits with normal myxi seems to have about a 5-10% survival rate but they'll almost all live 2 weeks or so with nursing then go down hill after that. So you and they have to go through a lot before knowing whether they'll make it.

A vaccinated rabbit with myxi seems to up the survival rates to around 50%. A vaccinated rabbit with nodular myxi is about 90% survival rate - really it's the complications if they're elderly/have other problems that's an issue then.

Tam

Normal myxi is the type you see in the wild population, the swollen eyes/gentiles which develops into discharge and usually secondary respiritory infections.

Nodular myxi causes little lumps (nodules) around the head and sometimes gentiles. These scab and eventually heal. They don't get the eye swelling/discharge. Secondary resp infections are less common and the only big issue is complications e.g. if they get nodules on the eyelids or blocking the nose nose. It's usually only fatal if the rabbits got other health issues that makes them less 100% healthy to start with.

Tam

Which strain does the myxi jab cover?

The Myxo Vaccine is actually made from the Shorpe Fibroma Virus, not the Myxomatosis Virus. It relies on 'cross immunity' to be effective.

Here are some links about Myxomatosis and about the Vaccine

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/understanding_myxo_feb06.htm

http://www.intervet.co.uk/Products_Public/Nobivac_Myxo/090_Product_Datasheet.asp

In other parts of Europe there is a Vaccine made from the actual Myxomatosis Virus. But so far the UK licensing authority have failed to be convinced of its safety so it is not licensed for use in the UK.

The fact that the vaccine we currently have relies on cross immunity means that it is very important that the Bun has a good immune response to vaccination (so if Bun is immuno-compromised this may not happen) and the vaccine must be administered correctly (10% given intradermally)

Janex

Thanks very informative. If a vet does not give the intradermal part of the injection, does that mean that the vaccine is not effective?

Hiya Charlotte
completly unrelated to myxi, but Nougat had flystrike, and I was all ready for the vet to say PTS, as I thought she had very little chance of recovery. The vet decided we could (and recommended should) treat her.
She appeared to get better over 10 days and I was ove rthe moon, but she went downhill very quickly and I had to make the decision to PTS (she died naturally at the vets).
If I had my time over, I would have PTS straight away, and not let Nougs suffer the treatment, as it was futile anyway.
What I'm trying to say is I think you did the right thing.

Thanks HS.... I wouldn't want to see them suffer. I have nursed buns before and watching them end up like that is horrific, only for them to then pass. I will never ever forgive myself for not vaccinating. I know that may not have saved them, but it might have given them a chance x

I'm sure I've posted on this thread before but can't find it..anyway
Floss had nodular myxi and she had nodules which eventually appeared all over her body apart from her legs and genitals. She also had a swollen and discharging eye. She made a full recovery apart from impaired vision in that eye caused by scarring from one of the lesions. Thank goodness she'd been vaccinated otherwise she probably wouldn't have survived. I'm pretty sure that had she gone into full blown myxi I would have opted to have her pts as I'd rather let her go gently than have all sorts of interventions done. You did the right thing.

I had an unvaccinated bun catch myxi and she was put to sleep on the recommendation of the vet - he said that she would die a really unpleasant death otherwise - we took her in when her only symptoms were slight swelling of eyes and bottom, but the vet said it would rapidly get worse. (This was 20 years ago, and before vaccinations were available to my knowledge.) I think you did the right thing.

I nursed Magic and Poppet and lost them both, Magic had the nodular strain and Pops full blown myxi :(

With Minstrel and Spookie they only had a swollen eye and swollen genitals, they were both pts straight away.

I'd go through the nursing again if god forbid we ever caught it again

Millie, Blossom 1, and Blosson 2 all died from myxi.

All had been vaccinated although Blossom 1 was due to be re-vaccinated. Sophie, also vaccinated, developed nodular type myxi and did survive.

What I am trying to say is that even vaccinated rabbits are in no way guaranteed to firstly be imune from myxi, or survive if they get it.

I am absolutely sure, in your case, you did the right thing for your bunnies. I am sorry to hear of your loss.

Cara

My french lop has myxi at the moment and was vaccinated 6 monthly. He had bumps around his eyes and inside one ear. He also has some bumps amongst his fur on his back legs. He has been eating well and does seem a little brighter today[ first signs were monday night}. The vet prescribed anti biotics baytril 2.5% .5ml twice daily. Do you think that seems enough for his size as he weighs about 12lb. Reading threads on here the dose seemed low. Also how long should he continue with them for do you think. I have to take him back wednesday for a check up. Was worried that he could get secondary infections if they don't suggest giving him any more so would love to know your experience.Also if they have myxi can they get it again at a later date or will they be immune. I would obviously still have him boostered every 6 months but wondered if he could still get it again. Also as regards the possibilty of renal failure is there anything to do to stop this occurring or what should I look out for. Sorry so many questions but have no experience of this rotten disease. Pam

Back