• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay in the North East of England

KarinB

Warren Scout
I bought my last lot of hays from The Hay Experts (which I am very happy with). I have noticed that there are members of this forum based in the north east and I was wondering if any of those members get their hay from local farms etc. as I cannot seem to find anywhere near me who sells hay.

Our bunnies love the oat hay, orchard grass but we also have 1st and 2nd cut timothy hay and meadow hay.

If I thought I could get all these from somehwere local it could maybe end up costing a bit less than what it did online.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying for something that is good for our bunnies but saving money is not a bad thinh either, is it!!

Hello, when you say North East, whereabouts in the north east?

Most farms would probably let you buy a bale of meadow hay.... just pop over to one where there is a farm shop and ask... or phone around.

I buy from www.dustfreehay.co.uk - giant bale... as its the only stuff they will actually eat. I dont buy it by the bale, but will probably try and get a bale for when it gets colder, to use for bedding.

I just get my hay from a pet shop in Langley Moor - the hay is really good quality and apparently very tastey.;) I'm sure you could get hay from a farm though - go ask around at livery yards and places.:D

I buy from www.dustfreehay.co.uk - giant bale... as its the only stuff they will actually eat. I dont buy it by the bale, but will probably try and get a bale for when it gets colder, to use for bedding.

I buy a lot from there too - my buns love it and if you can stretch to buying a bundle of 10 in one go, it works out at £4 a bag which isn't too bad. I can thoroughly recommend their barley straw too, it's absolutely fantastic quality, very soft and would make excellent winter bedding.

Incidentally although on the website you can only order either 10 hay or 10 straw, or 5 of each, if you email at the same time as you order, you can switch it around as much as you like - the limitation is on the website not on what mix you can have - I just ordered 5 of each online but emailed and asked for 7 hay 3 straw and that is what arrived :D

I buy a lot from there too - my buns love it and if you can stretch to buying a bundle of 10 in one go, it works out at £4 a bag which isn't too bad. I can thoroughly recommend their barley straw too, it's absolutely fantastic quality, very soft and would make excellent winter bedding.

Incidentally although on the website you can only order either 10 hay or 10 straw, or 5 of each, if you email at the same time as you order, you can switch it around as much as you like - the limitation is on the website not on what mix you can have - I just ordered 5 of each online but emailed and asked for 7 hay 3 straw and that is what arrived :D

The buns wouldnt eat the barley straw if i ordered some for bedding would they? What do you think is better value... you GIANT bags, or 10 smaller bags??

I have just started using dustfree hay as well :D , works out cheaper than most "specalist" hays and my buns love it, I like the fact it comes in hessian sacks too :D

The buns wouldnt eat the barley straw if i ordered some for bedding would they? What do you think is better value... you GIANT bags, or 10 smaller bags??

They might munch on a bit of it - it doesn't matter if they do - but I doubt they'd eat that much of it, the hay smells too lovely and tempting. Even the courier commented on how good it smelt :lol: :lol:

Not sure whether the big bag or little ones are better value, I just prefer the convenience of the smaller bags, easier to stack up and store, and to only carry one bag around to do the refill.

Thanks to you all for answering. I'm in Northumberland and I have tried many farms in my area (within a reasonable distance) but most of them keep the hay for themselves - I do buy a large bale of straw from a nearby farm and it is only £1.00. It is a beautiful golden colour and lovely and soft and the length of the pieces is nice and small - the bunnies love it (not for eating but for laying on).

Thing I may try the dust free stuff - do they sell oat hay as my bunnies love that.

The place where I got my buns from (they house them for the RSPCA ) has bales of meddow hay for £3 a bale (massive) It was past the airport through ponteland village then on the right hand side . My rabbits love this hay and eat load of it. Here is a link to the map page with the farm on its called west farm kennels

.http://www.rspca-northeast.org/

The place where I got my buns from (they house them for the RSPCA ) has bales of meddow hay for £3 a bale (massive) It was past the airport through ponteland village then on the right hand side . My rabbits love this hay and eat load of it. Here is a link to the map page with the farm on its called west farm kennels

Thanks. That's not that from me.

Can anyone give a little more info on the dust free hay?

What size are the bales?
If I was to order 5 Pack Mix of Hay what kind of hay would I receive?

Not sure if its too far a drive for you but there were a couple of farms just off Alston Moor that had hay for sale at £2 a bale when we were there a few weeks ago. Looked good stuff too and we would have bought some back home if the car wasn't already full

Decided!!

Dust Free Hay is V expensive (if rabbits don't like it I'm stuck with a load of hay and spent a lot of money so I am going to the farm in Ponteland and see what they think of that. £3 a bale - if they don't like it then I haven't wasted much money.

Thanks for all who answered.

Decided!!

Dust Free Hay is V expensive (if rabbits don't like it I'm stuck with a load of hay and spent a lot of money so I am going to the farm in Ponteland and see what they think of that. £3 a bale - if they don't like it then I haven't wasted much money.

Thanks for all who answered.

I could post you some of mine to see if they like it. My buns love it. I get the GIANT bale costs £25 inc delivery lasts me about a month for 4 buns and 4 piggies. PM me if you would like me to send you some.

West farm IS the RPSCA North Kennels (as well as a side line boarding kennels) Its visits by appointment only though so you will have to call to arrainge collection not just turn up (if you havent already!):wave:

West farm IS the RPSCA North Kennels (as well as a side line boarding kennels) Its visits by appointment only though so you will have to call to arrainge collection not just turn up (if you havent already!):wave:

I called them today and they told me they are open 9-5 every day except Sunday - didn't mention anything about prior arrangement but I will ring before I go just to be on the safe side.

Back