• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need help on picking rescue rabbits

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
I went to my local rescue for rabbits, and want to adopt 2 bunnies, 1 male and 1 female.

http://www.calgaryhumane.ca/ (click adoption and browse)

I picked the male quite easily, they called him Blacky

89318.jpg

when it comes to the female, I have some questions:

All my past & present bunnies are Flemish Giant, and their head is quite rectangle shape. Blacky, above, his head is quite big and round, eventhough he is a small size 3 year old mini lop.

The female rabbits, all the ones available has a pointy triangular head. They resembles rodent.

1) Is that the way dutch rabbit head looks like? Like a rodent style triangular head?

85701.jpg

2) Why is it that all these rabbits, primary all in the small size range, that some of their head is big, nice and round, whereas some other rabbits, their head are triangular and resembles rodents?

88366.jpg

89409.jpg

=======================

88139.jpg

3) with this rabbit dingo, eventhough her size is slight smaller than a Flemish Giant, when I lift her up, at her belly, I felt like there are a roll of dumbbell on her belly, I mean, her belly is packed, and very heavy. Is it because she eats too much?

P.S. I am not used to having rabbits whose head resembles rodent ( a triangular head), but all the female rabbits are all triangular heads, so I don't know what to do. I am used to seeing rabbits head like my Flemish giants, or rabbits like Blacky above.

Last edited:
I think you are used to round heads! I was amazed at Coleen's head who is owned by Niel and Maria (I think!). When I first saw her I thought she looked like a big mouse! A very beautiful big mouse though! :D I think it's just what you are used to.

With regards the belly, I'm don't know I'm afraid.

Oh no!!! I didn't mean Coleen, I meant Jaynie! Sorry Jaynie!! :oops: :D

Florence has quite a slim face, too. I like both shapes, but tend to avoid extremely round and short faces, just like I would not go for a Persian cat. Dutch bunnies have very pretty slim faces. I have fostered two Dutch bunnies, and they are both very cute and entertaining. You should always pick 2 or 3 possibilities, in case that your male does not bond with your first choice. I like the black and white Dutch in your list.

Back